1. Default LA to San Francisco via Sequoia

We are making our first trip to the US with a plan to drive the following route, we have tried to limit the distances to allow comfortable driving times and leave time for taking the scenic route. I would welcome any advice on the best routes between each to ensure we can get to see the best views of the country. Also, any recommendations of good stopping places either for attractions or places to eat or places worth making small detours to visit would be appreciated.

Ideally we would also like to find some of the historic route 66, if can anyone suggest the best part within striking distance of our planned route. We will be travelling in August if this has any bearing.

Los Angeles,
    Las Vegas (few nights to see Grand Canyon, Hoover dam and may find route 66)
    China Lake (Death Valley)
    Sequoia National Park
    Yosemite National Park (a couple of nights)
    Santa Cruz
    San Francisco

Any suggestions appreciated ,

Default Routing could be tricky...

Welcome to RTA!

First off, the Grand Canyon is not a "day trip" from Las Vegas. It takes about 4-5 hours to drive the 250ish-miles from LV to the South Rim, one way, so you'll end up spending the night either in the Canyon itself, or in Williams. There's a portion of old Route 66 (it's been decommissioned) that is labeled AZ 66 and goes from Kingman north to Nelson, through Seligman (where it parallels the freeway) and hits I-40 at exit 139. It's a scenic drive that you could take going to the Canyon from LV, or on the way back to LV.

Donna

Default A few thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I would welcome any advice on the best routes
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum, your general route is one of the most popular on this forum. Click here to see a few recommendations.

Los Angeles,
    Here are tips about visiting LA.
    Las Vegas (few nights to see Grand Canyon, Hoover dam and may find route 66)
    Oatman and Sitgreaves Pass is an easy section of Route 66 to pick up on the way to the Grand Canyon. Hoover Dam is a day trip from Las Vegas (about 40 minutes from the Strip).
    China Lake (Death Valley)
    China Lake is not part of Death Valley. China Lake is a weapons facility west of Death Valley (is this what you were thinking of?)
    Sequoia National Park
    Yosemite National Park (a couple of nights)
    The two parks don't really make sense. Actually how long is the entire trip?

Mark

Default South rim before Vegas.

It would, if you have the time, make more sense to drive to the GC south rim from LA and then make your way back to Vegas via the Seligman section of route 66 and the Hoover dam. LA to GC is possible in a day, but to keep your travel day's shorter you might want to consider stopping overnight on route.

Driving through Death valley you could head North on 395 and enter Yosemite via the Tioga pass [CA120] which is a spectacular drive. That would mean heading to Yosemite first and then South to Sequoia, but if you only have two nights you might want to consider spending that time in Yosemite and visit the Mariposa grove of giant Sequoia trees.

If you are travelling this August you will be lucky to find any available lodgings inside the National parks and once you have worked out your route, it would be worth checking to see what is available in the area.

5. Default

Hi

Thanks for the comments so far, as way of a bit of background and responding to the comments.

We do have the accommodation booked including the Parks Yosemite & Sequoia, so we are locked into the route.
    We are stopping at China lake only as an over night break as I thought the drive from Vegas to Sequoia via Death Valley in a single day would be too long.
    Thanks for the tip on route 66 and from Yosemite we may drive some of the Tioga pass for the scenary even if we then have to back track

Any other suggestions on the more scenic routes welcome

also any places worth stopping off at on route

Ralph

Default Some thoughts.

Hi Ralph.

If you wanted to make a day trip between LA and Vegas rather than shooting up I15, you could head towards Twenty Nine Palms [Joshua tree NP] and drive up to Amboy and through the Mojave National Preserve.

It would be beneficial to see if you could cancel a night in Vegas and find lodgings near to the Grand canyon NP though. You can get tours from Vegas, but you should know that they generally head for the West rim which is located on Indian lands which is not part of the National park system. It would still be a good experience, but you won't see the same views that have been made famous throughout the world through photography.

From Vegas you can take the 'Local's route' into Death valley by heading through Pahrump on 160 and then take Bell Vista Ave/ Ash Meadows road to DV junction where you can connect with 190. The Armagosa Opera house, Dantes view and Zabriske point are a few attractions prior to Furnace creek, an interesting place with Museum, the lowest golf course in the world and refreshments. Just to the south is Badwater, the lowest point in the US at over 280ft below sea level and Artists drive. Continuing on 190 will take you past the Sand dunes at Stovepipe wells and up to Panamint springs and either on to 395, or take the Panamint valley/Trona Wildrose Rd, just before Panamint Springs, past Ballarat ghost town. [Depending on where you are lodging]

Next day you could head past Lake Isabella to Visalia and into Sequoia NP via Three rivers on the Generals highway [178]. You will exit towards Fresno and then have a straight forward run to Yosemites south entrance. Near to the entrance is the Mariposa grove of giant Sequoia trees and as you head towards the valley there is the Glacier point road. A specatcular drive followed by a short walk to Glacier point will reward you with amazing views of the valley and Half Dome etc.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend that you book cruise tickets to visit Alcatraz Island while in SF. You can do this on-line through the National park service site, which is the only place to get official tickets without paying agents fees or being sold other tours.

We are stopping at China lake only as an over night break as I thought the drive from Vegas to Sequoia via Death Valley in a single day would be too long.
    Ridgecrest has a reasonable selection of motels/hotels. However, if you want a "nicer" place to stay, it's not much farther to the Lake Isabella/Kernville/Wofford Heights area.

8. Default Thanks for some good tips

All

Thanks it is this local knowledge which will help us get the most from our first taste the US

Is it a good idea to drive from Sequoia to Yosemite on the small back roads ? Looking on google maps there do seem to be some small roads that allow you go from Sequioa to Sierra and onto Yosemite without coming back to civilisation (Fresno), but it's hard to judge time and scale and do want to risk an extra nights enforced camping

I wouldn't - I'd take 180 into Fresno then 41 through Oakhurst.

Default Neither would I on this occasion.

As much as I like to go off the beaten path, I tend to agree with glc. If you had more time in the area, I would say go for it, but as things stand I would max your time in the National parks.