1. Default WINTER IN VEGAS; SAN FRANCISCO y LOS ANGELES

Hi, we are going to visit California and Nevada at the end of December and January.

We are going to stay in Las Vegas from Dec 23th to Jan 01st and from there we are planning to visit Grand Canyon; then we have from Jan 01st to Jan 08 to visit Yosemite, San Francisco and Los Angeles (we will depart from LAX on Jan 08th).

I really apreciate any idea about how we can use more efficently those days.

(question: Can we visit Yosemite and Sequoia park from Las Vegas, using only 1 night or is nuts?)

Thanks a lot

Default Hmmm.....

While the Grand Canyon looks like a short trip from Las Vegas, it's actually about a 4-5 hour drive (on a good day). So bear that in mind when planning - - it's not exactly a day trip! Day trips from Las Vegas include Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam, or perhaps Red Rocks State Park.

Yosemite and Sequoia are also do-able during that time frame. However, Tioga Pass (the only road that crosses the Rockies anywhere near Yosemite and Sequoia) is usually closed at the time of year. That means you have to go around the long way - a good 8-9 hour drive from Las Vegas (longer from the GC).

Donna

Default in and around

Since the Grand Canyon is just too far to do as a daytrip from Vegas (5+ hours each way), your best bet would be to do GC after Vegas but before you head back to California for Yosemite/Sequoia.

While it may seem a bit odd since GC is southeast of Vegas and Sequoia/Yosemite are northwest, but based on the roads you'd need to use, it actually would be the most effiecent way. You'd have to go south via Bakersfield to get around the Sierras anyway, so this would allow you to drive straight across on I-40 from GC, rather than going back north to Vegas. GC to either of the parks would be too much in one day, but you could get from there to Visalia or maybe Fresno and be set up nicely to continue on to either park.

Default Red Rock Canyon maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Red Rocks State Park.
    Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is on the edge of Las Vegas... Great waterfalls and nice hikes -- but there is no Red Rocks State Park that I can think of. Other day trips here.

Mark

Default Check conditions.

Winter in the Sierra Nevada can mean a lot of snow and ice and you will need to keep an eye on weather conditions throughout your trip, but moreso in Sequoia and Yosemite where you will have to carry snow chains for your vehicle and be prepared to use them if needed. It would be worth doing a trial fit of these in a safe place in fair conditions rather than your first fit possibly being on a mountain road in a snow storm, just to get the hang of it.

I agree with Michael that you should spend a night at GC south rim after departing Vegas. I wouldn't look to go as far as Fresno as you can [weather permitting] go through Three Rivers into Sequoia NP and exit into Fresno rather than going that far north and back through the park. I actually think the Bakersfield area would be as far as you should consider because of the shorter days and possible weather disruption, Visalia would be about 11 hours on the road in good conditions. Another option would be to visit the GC and stay in Williams the night to cut your journey time to Visalia.

(question: Can we visit Yosemite and Sequoia park from Las Vegas, using only 1 night or is nuts?)
    Nuts. ;-) LOL. Actually, with 2 full days in good conditions, you could possibly complete the drive, but it won't give you much time in either place. If you are hoping to finish in SF with only a 1 night stop you could really only manage 1 park and that would still be pushing it for the purpose of enjoyment.

Default Oops - you're right -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is on the edge of Las Vegas... Great waterfalls and nice hikes -- but there is no Red Rocks State Park that I can think of. Other day trips here.

Mark
    Sorry Mark, you're right of course. My atlas is still buried somewhere in the car and I was posting off the top of my head.

Donna