1. Default First road trip in USA !

Hi,

my husband and I and our two boys are coming out in the next couple of weeks on our first rv trip to USA. We have a few days in SF and Big Sur before picking up the rv in LA. We are then planning to travel across to Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and back to LA via LV - in all we have a total of 12 nights in the rv - couple of questions _

a) can we drive the rented rv to the skywalk and is it worth it ?
    b) any recommendations for good rv parks in any of the places mentioned ?
    c) want to pick up a Dodgers game on our last day/night in LA in the rv - any suggestions for a nearby park ?
    d) anything worth seeing that you think I have missed ??!!

Thanks and appreciate your help

Default Skywalk, Grand Canyon and sights along the way.

Hi and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

That looks like a nice trip you have laid out for yourself. It should work well.

You will not be able to drive your RV to the Skywalk as the road is not sealed all the way. You have to realise that this is not part of the NP, it is on Indian land. It is also quite expensive to go there, and you will not be able to take your camera with you, nor your phone, if it has a camera. The general consensus on this forum seems to be that it is not worth it.

As for RV parks in the places you mention, I am sure one of the experienced RV trippers here will have suggestions for that. It is not in my field. Neither is sport. But others are all into that, and I am sure they will be along soon to give you the good oil on it.

As for what there is to see... there is lots. You might like to start by going to the 'sights & routes' tab on the green bar above, and also the 'map center' in the 'maps' tab. You will be able to look for attractions in both those tools. Some of my favourite ones are between the GC eastern entrance/exit and Zion. On 89 you have Horsehoe Bend, where you can take a stroll to see the Colorado river before it enters the Canyon. There is Glen Canyon Dam, worth a stop. Further along 89 is Big Water Ranger Station, worth a visit if only for the uniqueness of the building and the layout of the grounds... as well as the information one is able to collect there. And then there are the spectacular Vermillion Cliffs along 89.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey

Default Suggestions.

Hi there.

I don't think you will have much luck finding RV sites in the National parks at this late stage, but it won't hurt to look in case you get lucky with a cancellation. I would still hunt around and find whats available nearby, as they are extremel popular and being in the height of the season it could save you a lot of time driving around in the RV searching for an available site. If no luck with the NP's you would need to look for sites around Williams, Flagstaff and Tusayan for the Grand canyon. Just out of the east entrance of GC at Cameron is the Cameron trading post that has an RV site. It's basic, but across the road at the trading post there are interesting stores and dining facilities. For Bryce canyon you could try Rubys Inn but I fear that will be booked up. Tropic is nearby and may offer alternatives. Near Zion there is a nice little park called the 'Virgin river resort' [20 mins away] that you could check out. In LV you will find the 'Oasis RV resort' which has nice pools etc and not far from the Strip.

With 12 days in the RV, it will make for a nice relaxed pace. A route we took between GC and Bryce [ although opposite direction] would be to head from GC to Monument valley and then on to Mexican hat and then head North on UT261 up the Moki dugway [do a search ;-) ] and the 95 to Hanksville. [Red rock RV park] and to Torrey via Capitol Reef NP before taking the wonderful UT scenic 12 through Escalante to Bryce.

4. Default

With 12 days in the RV, it will make for a nice relaxed pace. A route we took between GC and Bryce [ although opposite direction] would be to head from GC to Monument valley and then on to Mexican hat and then head North on UT261 up the Moki dugway [do a search ;-) ] and the 95 to Hanksville. [Red rock RV park] and to Torrey via Capitol Reef NP before taking the wonderful UT scenic 12 through Escalante to Bryce.
    I would advise against driving a rental RV up the Moki dugway (it's not paved) and you certainly do not want to drive DOWN it in any RV! I've read where vehicles over 10,000 lbs are prohibited so that's going to rule out most RV's. Picture of the road

Schools are going to be starting up by the end of September so you might be able to find campsites in the National Parks. I would definitely check them out online to see what is available.

Grand Canyon has to campgrounds inside the South Rim where you can make reservations. The Trailer Village has hook up (water, electric, sewer) but this place does book up fast. Mather is more of a basic campground with a paved spot, table and campfire pit. There are showers and dump station at the entrance to the campground. Mather is more in a forest setting.

Bryce has two campgrounds. One is first come first serve and the other you can make reservations. Neither have full hook ups. There are showers nearby. If you can't find anything inside the park, there is the private Ruby's Inn Campground just outside the park and you can pick up the free Bryce Shuttle right at the campground.

Zion has two campgrounds. South is first come, first serve and spots fill up quickly in the day. Watchman campground takes reservations and has electrical hook ups. There is a dump station near by but no showers. IF Watchman campground is booked keep checking and checking online. Cancellations happen daily! There is a private campground right outside the park just across from Watchman and you can usually get a spot there. It's not one of my favorite campgrounds.

I'll second Oasis RV in Las Vegas as a really nice campground.

Utahtea

On the other side of the river from Watchman Campground in Zion is a private campground - Zion Canyon. A few years back, it was fine for an RV'er.

Donna

Default It's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    I would advise against driving a rental RV up the Moki dugway (it's not paved) and you certainly do not want to drive DOWN it in any RV! I've read where vehicles over 10,000 lbs are prohibited so that's going to rule out most RV's. Picture of the road

Utahtea
    I have actually driven down the Moki Dugway in a 29ft RV. Vehicles over 10,000lbs are not prohibited [unless that has been enforced recently?] although there are recommendations in place for larger vehicles to go the long way around. You do have to consider the unpaved part of the road and your rental agreement conditions, although it is a State highway[?]. I would not recommend it, without you first seeing the 'challenge' ahead and that's why I suggested you search and gave a wink, it certainly isn't for everyone. ;-).

7. Default

Thanks everyone for your imput! I did look at the Moki Duugway and had decided that as this is our first trip/first time driving an RV ( although it is only 26ft) that we would give it a miss !! A shame as the rest of the route looked good.

There are odd one night spots in Mather at the moment so will probably go for one of those - and will check out the others mentioned. Sounds likie Oasis in LV is a must.

Any thoughts on Lake Powell - looks/sounds interesting and as if we could pick up a half day river trip from Page too ?

Default You can go 'around'.

If you wanted to take that general route without the Moki, then all you have to do is to continue through MV to 191 through Bluff and head north and then west on UT95.

Lake Powell is a popular destination and also nearby to Page is Antelope canyon where you could book a tour. At Lake Powell you could take a boat tour from Waheap marina to the worlds largest natural bridge, Rainbow bridge.

How are you planning on getting from SF to LA?