Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip advice needed...travelling outside of Las Vegas

Hi!

I am planning a road trip outside of Vegas. We are planning a 7 day vacation. We also will be renting a car. So far we are torn between spending a few days in Vegas to visit family and driving to San Diego and spending rest trip there. We also want to see the surrounding National Parks. I was debating on skipping San Diego and visiting either Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, or Grand Canyon.

We are going in early November, so I didn't know if it will be to cold at that point to visit any of the parks. Anyway we can have it all? Stay in Vegas, San Diego and visit one of the parks in 7 days? I know it sounds greedy!

If not the ones I listed anywhere else that is worth visiting and a day's drive from Vegas? We have already been to Red Rock Canyon, it was great but hoping to see somewhere new.

I am going with my husband, we are young and do not have kids. What are the perks and things to do in San Diego and surrounding area. We love good food, exploring new places, hiking etc. Vegas so far is the only definate place we have to visit.

Thanks!!!

Default What appeals the most ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A "few day's in Vegas " to me would mean 3 or more, rather than a "couple of days," so if you had 4 remaining days, I think the best you could manage is day 4 travelling to the Grand canyon South rim and day 5 to San Diego leaving you 2 day's in SD. Of course that will only work if you end your trip there and don't have to return to Vegas[?] You could choose to take day trips from Vegas and then head to SD or perhaps do a circular tour from Vegas to Zion to Bryce to GC and back to Vegas.

It really comes down to what appeals to you the most, how much time you want to spend there and then see what 'fits'.

Default Go Ahead: Have It All

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can make a complete 'loop' drive from Las Vegas to Zion National Park to San Diego and back to Las Vegas in two days. That would leave you 5 full days to spend at your three destinations, say two days each in Las Vegas and San Diego, and a day at Zion. Going to the Grand Canyon instead of Zion would add another quarter day's driving.

So, what I'd do, I think, is spend your arrival day and most of the next day in Las Vegas. then in the evening drive up to somewhere just outside of Zion, either Springdale or Kanarraville depending on which entrance to the park you use. Spend that evening (sunset!) and the next morning and afternoon hiking and exploring the park and return to Las Vegas for dinner.

Next take a day's drive down to San Diego and spend three nights and two full days there. On the way down and/or on the way back you'll have time to visit some subset of Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, and the Salton Sea. In San Diego, you can easily spend a day amongst the museums, zoo, and gardens of Balboa Park and another day in Old Town, taking a harbor cruise or at Scripps, or any number of other attractions before heading back to Las Vegas.

AZBuck

4. Default

We are now thinking we will spend 3 days in Zion national park after Las Vegas. I checked the Zion National Park Lodge and it seems expensive. Any other lodge/hotel suggestions?

Thanks your all of your help!

There really should be quite a few lodging choices to pick from in Springdale, which is just minutes from the park. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find something to your liking there.

3 days is quite a lot of time for Zion. You can never really have too much time there, but it sounds like your time is somewhat limited, and you might want to give yourself time to head up to Bryce or down to the Grand Canyon.

Default North Rim?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    ... and you might want to give yourself time to head up to Bryce or down to the Grand Canyon.
    I suspect Michael might mean the nearby North Rim. In November this may be closed. The North Rim is not open year round.

Lifey

7. Default

Our new travel plans are: Fly into Vegas-drive to Zion National Park and stay two days in Zion then drive to Grand Canyon and stay over night, then drive back to Vegas and stay 3 days to visit family.

I know this is a lot of driving. Is North Rim the best route if it is open in November? Map Quest takes us to South Rim.

Default Not overly much.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyGrace View Post
    Is North Rim the best route if it is open in November? Map Quest takes us to South Rim.
    Even if the North Rim is still open, and I doubt it, the services will all have closed down. Mapquest will always take you to the South Rim, as that is where the Grand Canyon Village is. And even though I prefer the North to the South, I don't think it would be my destination of choice in November.

You do have a lot of driving, but it is not overly much, and it is through such stunning countryside, that it will go all too quick. A few things to see along the way on 89, without detouring are, Vermillion Cliffs, Big Water Ranger Station, worth a stop even if only for the uniqueness of this building, you will pass over Glen Canyon Dam, worth a stop, and a little further on, take a break and stroll at Horsehoe Bend to see the Colorado River before it enters the Canyon.

64 Will then take you into the Grand Canyon NP.

Lifey

I think the south rim would be the better bet at that time of year. The crowds would have gone [a big advantage of the North rim in peak season] and with the south rim being at lower elevation it should be warmer plus there are more easily accessible viewpoints from there. It will make a perfect loop from Vegas to Zion to GC and back to Vegas via the Hoover dam with the possibility of a detour onto part of original route 66 through Seligman.

If you don't want to pay NP lodging costs then I would highly recommend Springdale for Zion and you could consider staying at the Cameron trading post near to the GC east kiosk and enter next day on Desert view drive [64], sight see and stay in Tusayan or Williams the next evening.

For things to see or do in San Diego, check out this message article:

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...nty&highlight=

Donna