Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving from ri to az

Hi,
    i'm looking for the best route to travel from ri to az....we are moving there november 2011
    and i'm also looking to find out how much in tolls the whole way and where they are located.
    I would like to travel down to virginia and then out west but i have to i'll go the northern route.
    Thank you for you're help

Where your tolls are, and how much they'll be, depends on which routes you take! If it were me, I would definitely try to avoid the toll roads when possible. If you look on a paper map, the toll roads are usually a different color than the freebie interstates. I-90 is a toll road in the eastern section of the country (PA, OH, IN, and IL) as is the PA Turnpike (I-70/76) and the Garden State Parkway.

Is there a reason you can't go south to Virginia and then west? In November, that might be the way to go! Get down to Virginia and I-81, which would take you to I-40 Westbound all the way to Northern Arizona. (You didn't say where in AZ you are moving to.) However, that said, there really is no "best route" except the one you want to take.

Donna

Default There's a Town in Arizona...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...called Why, but none called Where. But that's the first piece of information anyone wishing to help you is going to need: Where in Arizona. Although one could guess Providence for where you're starting from in Rhode Island and not be too far off, 'Arizona' is an awfully big target and your precise destination will determine your choice of routes as soon as Connecticut. So where are you headed?

AZBuck

4. Default

buck. i'm heading to gilbert, az.....
    and donna i do want to go down towards virginia. just realized i put that i had to go north i don't. i would rather take the south route instead of through ohio.
    thanks so much for any and all help

To Gilbert, then - you could take I-81 to I-40. At Flagstaff, turn south on I-17. Then use US 60 to go to Gilbert.

Or you could turn south at Holbrook and go through Lakeside/Pinetop and Salt Canyon on US 60, and approach Gilbert from the East. In November though, the weather could make that "interesting".

Donna

6. Default

thank you so much.

From wherever you are in RI, I'd take the best way to Hartford or Meriden to get to I-84, take that west to Scranton to pick up I-81 to I-40. There are no tolls at all unless you have to take a toll bridge to get through/out of RI.

Default Toll bridges

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    There are no tolls at all unless you have to take a toll bridge to get through/out of RI.
    The bridges over the Hudson are free heading west, and toll bridges heading east.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    The bridges over the Hudson are free heading west, and toll bridges heading east.

Lifey
    Correct - and this person is heading west!

10. Default

thank you everyone. i'm getting so nervous and excited...