1. Default 4-5 month Climbing/Adventure Road Trip Across US. GA, KY,UT, CO,CA, WY, OR, WA

Hey Everyone.

I am planning on going on a 4-5 month road trip from GA starting late August. I want to go to as many climbing locations as possible ( I am an intermediate climber), raft the CO river, and kayak, other awesome adventures along the way. I will be doing this August- December, so I know that some places such as OR, WA will get snow by then. I would really appreciate advice on which route to take (son't care about the order) to avoid snow, experience the best climbing, and to go via scenic routes. I am goint to have to couch surf for most of the way or find people to climb with. I would like to spend most of my time in CO, UT, and CA.
    I attatched a link with most of all my destinations mappd out.
    Thanks so much for the help and the advice!!! PLEASE HELP

Yosemite Valley,CA
    Joshua Tree National Park, CA
    Red Wood City, CA
    Napa Valley, CA
    Lassen Volcanic, CA
    Sequia Kings Canyon, CA- hike high sierra trail.
    Channel Islands, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Los Angeles, CA
    San Diego, CA
    Redding, CA
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Calipatria, CA
    Mesa Verde, CO
    Black Canyon, CO
    Colorado NAtional Monument, CO
    Rocky Mountain National Park
    Denver, CO
    Boulder, CO

Salt Lake City, UT
    Glen Canyon, UT
    Lake Powell, UT
    Canyonlands, UT
    Arches National Park, UT
    Cedar breaks, UT
    Zion National Park, UT
    Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Mount Ranier, Washington
    North Cascades, Washington
    San Juan Islands, Washington
    Olympic, Washington
    Crater Lake, Oregon
    Oregon coast
    Bighorn Canyon, WY
    Yellowstone National Park
    Grand Teton, Wyoming
    Red River Gorge, Kentucky
    Red Rocks, Nevada
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Great Basin, Nevada
    Sunset Crater Volcano, Arizona
    Pertrified Forest, Arizona
    Grand Canyon, Arizona.- raft grand canyon
    Big Bend, TX
    Dallas, TX
    Austin, TX
    Atlanta, GA

Southern California

There's a website for couch-surfing, though I've never tried it. You might also look at hostels - another member here has the website for those. That might help you with your overnights.

I'm sorry, I wish I could help on the climbing bit - but at my age, climbing stairs and ladders is my idea of a climbing challenge. :-)

South of England.

Default Wow !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

That's a heck of an adventure you have planned there !

I would certainly try and knock off the Northern sections of your plan early on in your trip, such as Yellowstone, that can see winter storms developing early. I would recommend heading to Colorado via Kentucky and through Utah and then north and west to WY and WA before heading south through OR, CA, NV etc and then East along the southern states. Utah could delay things in getting north as you want to spend a 'chunk' of your time there, so you could consider seeing some of southern Utah's attractions after dropping south and visiting Vegas, and then drop back down into AZ via Page to the GC etc.

With a trip of this size it's tough to know where to start making suggestion as they would run into thousands when it comes to routes and attractions. I would suggest you start by searching the forums and road trip planning resources in the tool bars above, using key search words for each segment of your trip. As you do so and you come across more specific questions then please, ask away !

Melbourne, Australia

Default I think Donna means me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    There's a website for couch-surfing, though I've never tried it. You might also look at hostels - another member here has the website for those.
    Hostels are a great and affordable place to stay, especially if you are travelling alone. It enables you to go to the local grocery stores to buy good food, and prepare your meals at the hostel Saves a lot on eating out, and much healthier. It is also a great place to meet other travellers, and with your interest, in certain locations you might even meet up with other climbers. The most comprehensive listing of hostels worldwide can be found here.

A couple of tips -
    Never stay at a hostel where sleeping bags are allowed. They are the main cause of bug infections.
    Make sure that the hostel has secure lockers which you lock with your own padlock. Carry a medium size padlock. It is not secure to use the lockers where you have to pay to lock it. Management has access to those lockers.
    And always wear footwear in the showers. But that goes for all showers when you travel.

As for Couchsurfing. Are you already a member? I would highly recommend that you become a verified member before you travel. Most people prefer to host verified members. It is an extra measure of security. After all, you are a stranger staying in their home. I would make an effort to establish rapport with couchsurfers in the areas where you plan to stay, so that they get to know you, and are expecting you. And so that you get to know a little about your prospective hosts. And last, but by no means least - make sure that you show your appreciation to your host. This can be done in many ways, such as bringing a small gift. (Ask beforehand if there is anything special from your home region, which they would like.) Alternatively you might like to bring flowers, or a take away meal. Or you might offer to cook a meal for them, or do the dishes, or clean the bathroom, or...... whatever is relevant.

The main thing is, do not take your host for granted. Couchsurfing is not just a free night's accommodation, it is a community, and you will make many friends, some of whom may one day come to stay with you. Enjoy the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I'm sorry, I wish I could help on the climbing bit - but at my age, climbing stairs and ladders is my idea of a climbing challenge. :-)
    I can relate to that!

5. Default Advice for 5 month road trip help

Thank you in advance for helping me with these two questions!
    I am going on a 4-5 month road trip this Sunday. From Georgia all the way to the West Coast. Most of the trip will include rock climbing. I am staying at friends places, meeting up with couchsurfers etc along the way.
    I have a few questions:

-What is the best way to pack up my in a way that I can stay organized. ( I have to have summer and winter clothes, along with all of my gear, and company sponsor products (not too much) I also have my computer. I want to make sure I pack my car safely( to avoid break- ins) and strategically, sinch I have so many clothes and so much stuff. I have a four door regular sized's not an SUV or anything big like that.

- I have heard about a charger (for the car battery incase the car dies) made for women that you can plug into your cigarette lighter and that way stay safe in your car. Anyone heard of this, know the cost, and what store sells it?

-National Parks. There are a ton I want to visit. National Park pass worth it or pay as you go? Also, only some of them req. wilderness permits right?

Please keep all questions regarding this trip here, thankyou
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 08-20-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Merged threads.

South of England.

Default Yes to the NP pass.

The National parks pass is a must ! After visiting 4 major parks it would have paid for itself so to speak.

I am not sure what 'charger' you refer to or why they would be made for woman in particular, [?] but if you are planning on sleeping in your car with all your gear, I wouldn't. You will not get a proper nights sleep in a sedan and it wouldn't set you up in the right frame of mind for climbing, driving or much else.

As for packing, I would keep your heavier layered clothing seperate from the day to day items and always have easy access to a warm top and waterproofs, just in case. You can pack as carefully as you want I find, but it's when you are on the road that you learn as to what should be kept where. Of course you should never leave any valuables such as your computer on display in the car, night or day, pack as much as you can in the trunk.

Have a great trip and drop by with some updates !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 08-20-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added comment.