Default Washington to South Carolina

My wife and I are coming over to the US in middle September. We will be stopping in Washington for a few days and then want to drive to stay with friends in Myrtle Beach SC.

We will be leaving Washington on Monday and want to get to SC by Sunday. We would like a route which includes historical sites and other points of interest. I would have liked to take the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway but I would need longer than the time I have without spending a large amount of time just driving.

Any help would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Default You have enough time.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Even if you were to drive the complete length of the Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway, you are looking at less than 1000 miles from Washington to Myrtle Beach. That is two days driving. Given that these roads are at a slow speed, and you were to double half that time, you still have lots of time on your hands. But there is no need to drive the full length of it. It is a great experience to drive just sections of it.

Use the tools on the green bar above to lay out a route, and check what attractions there are along it. The map centre will let you search for attractions along the route, as will the routes & sights tab.

Enjoy the planning.

Thanks for the reply - I was trying to shave some mileage off so that I can spend more time out of the car than in it. I go into Oxford tomorrow to start my preps

Tucson, AZ

Default A Somewhat Shorter Route

Let me say up front that the route I'm going to recommend is about 750 miles long and is designed to maximize opportunities for both scenic and historic out-of-the-car opportunities. You'd start by heading west out of Washington on I-66 to Front Royal and taking the Skyline Drive (scenic) down through Shenandoah National Park (scenic, Civil War) to Waynesboro and then I-64 to Charlottesville (Thomas Jefferson's Monticello). Continue on through Richmond (Civil War) to the Historic Triangle: Jamestown (First successful English Settlement), Williamsburg (Colonial), and Yorktown (Revolutionary War). Next head down VA/NC-168 and US-158 to Kitty Hawk (First Flight) and Manteo (Early failed English settlement) and take NC-12 all the way down the Outer Banks (beach, lighthouses, pirates) to Ocracoke and ride the ferry over to Cedar Island (reservations recommended). US-70/NC-24 will get you to Jacksonville, NC and then US-17 through Wilmington (USS North Carolina, WWII battleship) will complete your journey to Myrtle Beach. And of your 6 available days, only two (spread out, of course) would be spent driving.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-29-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added site

Many thanks,

The route looks good. Now the planning bit

Many thanks for the advice.

Got back to UK yesterday and the route was exactly as described apart from the Outer Banks where bridges are still out, spent 2 nights in Wilmington instead (lovely town)

Our trip well exceeded our expectations