Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default San Francisco to ????? 4 days in September

    Hi guys.

    Sorry my first post is an ask, but I'm hoping someone will save the day.


    I will be arriving from the UK for my honeymoon in SF on 13th Sept and have 4 days out on the open road before my 4 nights in the city. This is my first ever trip to the States.


    My hire car (Camaro SS....yum) is booked, so I have 4 days to kill before the Saturday evening. I would like to include some Highway 1 and would also like to visit Yosemite, in fact, I now wish I'd done 6 days on the road and 2 days in the city........there is so much to see.


    Can anyone recommend me a condensed route where I will get to see plenty of good things. I love driving, so distance isn't an issue, but I also like to see and do things, I know I'm going to miss out on plenty.


    I have no hotels/motels booked, so I'm very flexible.


    I look forward to hearing from someone who knows what they're on about!



    Thankyou in advance, Shaun.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Thoughts.

    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

    Heading South down the coast will put the Oceanside pullouts on your side of the road. If you headed to San Simeon/Cambria via Big Sur you would have seen some of the best coast scenery. From there you could cut inland through Visalia and Three rivers into Sequoia NP, staying another night in the park or exiting to the fresno area. From there head up 41 into Yosemite NP and spend 2 nights and a full day [and a bit] before returning to SF. That should satisfy your love of driving and leave you time to get out of it and explore. You could easily spend more time along the coast and in Yosemite so it's a matter of dividing your time up to suit you and decide on Sequoia and other aspects. Another option would be to go back to SF via the Napa valley wineries area and over the Golden gate bridge.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Can't you extend?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunlister View Post
    I now wish I'd done 6 days on the road and 2 days in the city........there is so much to see.
    Is there any reason why you can not call the rental company (definitely worth a phone call), and extend the rental? You will probably find that it will not be a great deal more expensive, as it is likely to put you onto a weekly rate.

    It is worth a try.

    Lifey

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

    Heading South down the coast will put the Oceanside pullouts on your side of the road. If you headed to San Simeon/Cambria via Big Sur you would have seen some of the best coast scenery. From there you could cut inland through Visalia and Three rivers into Sequoia NP, staying another night in the park or exiting to the fresno area. From there head up 41 into Yosemite NP and spend 2 nights and a full day [and a bit] before returning to SF. That should satisfy your love of driving and leave you time to get out of it and explore. You could easily spend more time along the coast and in Yosemite so it's a matter of dividing your time up to suit you and decide on Sequoia and other aspects. Another option would be to go back to SF via the Napa valley wineries area and over the Golden gate bridge.
    Thankyou for that, I will have a good look at the route. It shows that a little knowledge goes a long way, I was thinking of going to the LA area after the coast, and still have time to get to other stuff. We have distant family who have offered us the use of their house in Palm Springs....but again, looks like being just too far. I would also like to have gone to Irvine to Cars and Coffee on the Sat AM, but I believe it's an 8 hour trip back to SF?


    I'm thinking the smaller condensed way is best, then we aren't rushing, and can stop for lunch and do a bit of sightseeing. I take it that we will be OK finding motels on spec, without booking?

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Is there any reason why you can not call the rental company (definitely worth a phone call), and extend the rental? You will probably find that it will not be a great deal more expensive, as it is likely to put you onto a weekly rate.

    It is worth a try.

    Lifey

    I would have no problem with that, however we have booked the hotel for 4 nights already for the Sat-Wed. I will plan a little better next time methinks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default If only!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunlister View Post
    I will plan a little better next time methinks.
    I wouldn't mind a dollar for everytime we have heard roadtrippers express regret at not having found this forum sooner. Even in the (relatively short) time I have been a member. We all live and learn. Spread the word, so others are spared the same regrets.

    Lifey

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Your choice.

    You could also find there would be no cancellation fee on your SF hotel if you dropped a night or two. [?]

    If you wanted to take the scenic coastal highway [route1] to LA then it will take at least 2 days to do so. LA is huge and you will have the prospect of slow going and traffic congestion. If you wanted to spend a day there and 2 down the coast and 'hot tail' it back up Interstate on your last day you could, but expect it to be 9 hours plus travelling from Irvine on a Sat morning and there won't be room for the natural wonder that is Yosemite.

    Urban sprawl v's the best of nature, I know which I would choose, but that is for you to decide.

    You will find lodgings along the way, but if you decided on Yosemite the park lodgings could be booked. You will find options in towns etc 'around and about' though. If you decide upon a route and timing then you might be better off booking in advance. It's a personal preference to what suits you , but when on a tight schedule the last thing I want to do is to be looking for lodgings when I could be sight seeing or sitting down to a nice meal. You could look at the RTA reservations section and even if you don't want to book, you could make notes and take contact numbers of places that appeal and suit your budget for when on the road.

  8. Default

    Thanks for the info.


    We've decided to stay away from LA, so will spend a couple of days on the coast, then move inland, back to SF for Saturday. Thinking of Santa Cruz on the first night, only to go to the Beach Boardwalk, Lost Boys is one of my favourite films!.....then possible to Laguna Seca, and a run down to San Luis Obispo, my good lady has seen the Madonna Inn on TV and would like to stay there.


    Then inland.....does anyone have any places to avoid/must see on the way back up north to Yosemite, such a short time and I don't want to waste it somewhere not to good.


    Thanks for your help so far guys.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Time in Yosemite.

    With your limited time, I would head straight to the South entrance of Yosemite NP and visit Mariposa grove of giant Sequoia trees and then take a drive and short walk up to Glacier point, the view is amazing. That will give you time to explore the valley the following day before heading back to SF.

Similar Threads

  1. 1 of 2 Threads: 2 - 3 days to Birmingham AL September 2011
    By uteboy69 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 01:03 AM
  2. Grand Circle - 13 days - Early September
    By kelly in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM
  3. Denver - San Francisco, late September
    By Mic22 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
  4. Los Angeles to San Francisco in September
    By l1nl2 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
  5. LA - San Francisco in September
    By HealthNut in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 07:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES