Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default late November and early December

My husband and I are going to Las Vegas in November and plan to stay for 5 nights in Vegas. We have about 8 days extra which we hope to hire a car to dry around. Any idea as to what we can do . We will be flying to San Francisco after that.

Have you considered a one-way rental, driving to SF and dropping the car off there? There will be a drop-off fee, but that would be offset to some extent by not having to buy plane tickets between LV and SF.

That opens up a lot of options to see on the way.

3. Default

Hi macdonald,

Zion National Park is just 3 hours from Las Vegas but in the wrong direction. The N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed by then, but there is the S. Rim. Weather does start turing bad by this time tho.

Death Valley National Park which will just be coming into it's season and driving up the coast might be a good option.

Utahtea

Thanks but we have already got the tickets to fly to San Francisco from Vegas, but all other ideas and suggestion are welcome.

This is our first trip over here and we are really looking for suggestion as to what we should do and see.
    Last edited by RoadTripper Jo; 07-26-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: trying to get ideas to plan our drive

Default Maybe too late

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    The N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed by then...
    You might find that the North Rim will be closed by then. It is not year round.

Lifey

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    The N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed by then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    You might find that the North Rim will be closed by then. It is not year round.

Lifey
    Lifey is correct. The road to the North Rim may still be open but services close mid-October. The North Rim: Mid-May to Mid-October

Utahtea

Default Some day trips.

Hello and welcome to RTA ! ^^As you might have gathered, the North rim may be closed. LOL. [It may also be open but it would be a bit too far for a day trip]

Here is a page with some day trip ideas for daytrips.

You will also note that the Grand canyon South rim is a bit too far for a day trip by road. [9/10 hours to South rim and back] There are tours from Vegas, but know what you are getting. Most go to the West rim on Indian lands and are not part of the National park system. Hoover dam is not far away and might be of interest to you.

Edit]

Having re-read your post [correctly I hope] you are planning on an 8 day tour. You will find lot's of info through out the forums but you could make your own adaption of the 'Grand circle'. Something like this > LV>Zion NP>Bryce canyon> Capitol Reef [via scenic 12] > Moab [Arches/Canyonlands]> Monument valley> GC south rim>Las Vegas.
    A detour into Death valley at either end of your trip and Page AZ might appeal with Antelope canyon and lake Powell.

You will need to keep an eye on conditions, places, particuarly at high elevation, such as Bryce canyon start to get real cold and you could see snow.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-27-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Waking up properly.

Thanks for all your help. Any ideas if I were to drive from vegas to San Francisco. Its my first trip out this way and I want to see as much as I can and we are not use to driving in America. Though I still like to see the Grand Canyon and also do some shopping at the same time.

Default I think you're going to confuse us

The Grand Canyon and most of the other places discussed above are EAST of Las Vegas. San Francisco is WEST of Las Vegas, so when you referred to possibly driving to San Francisco and then in same statement, mention the Grand Canyon, we're not sure what you're thinking about.

In any case, if you're thinking about not using the plane tickets, you could reach San Francisco via Death Valley and Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park. Or you could use this White Mountain trip and then either cross at Tioga or go by of Tahoe. But you need to look at a map and decide which direction you want to go on your road trip.

Mark

10. Default

In any case, if you're thinking about not using the plane tickets, you could reach San Francisco via Death Valley and Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park.
    Just be aware that Tioga Pass into Yosemite from the east side can close at any time after a big snow. This can happen in late October or not until Dec. You can see previous opening and closing dates. If the pass isn't open then you will have to drop down south and drive around and enter from the west side of the park.

Utahtea