Default Road Trip from Orange County to San Francisco and back

Good morning, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best plan of attack for a San Francisco road trip.

We have 6 days allocated for this trip. I was thinking of taking the 5 to San Francisco and maybe staying there 2 days (Monday - early Wednesday). San Francisco sites include Alcatraz and Fishermans Wharf. Early Wednesday - Saturday - is spent driving back South via the Coast (Highway 1?) . The places I'd like to see include: Sequioa, Hearst Castle, maybe a stop at a Central coast beach.

Any suggestions? We have 3 kids (10 yrs, 8 yrs and 15 yrs).

Cecile :)

South of England.

Default Sequoia on the way 'up' [?]

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If you want to see Sequoia NP then it would perhaps be wise to visit there on the way up and take the coastal route around Big Sur on the way back down. Hearst castle is a big attraction and one you might want to consider and book a tour. With a day taken getting to SF [without Sequoia] and 2 days in SF you might be better off visiting Sequoia and Yosemite as another trip and take a slower pace. You could certainly do Sequoia >SF and coast road home, it's just what pace you want to travel at and how long you want to spend at each place you visit. Places like the Monterey Bay Aquarium would perhaps be suitable for all your family.

SF Bay Area

Default Timings from a 2007 road trip

From personal experience; you can go from Concord (in the East Bay), through Sequoia, and finish in Barstow in one long day.

From my trip records we left at 8am, had lunch in Sequoia, and reached Barstow at 8pm. Google maps shows the route I took as 504 miles/10 hours. My log shows 498 miles, 12 hours. The extra time are food/gas/pee/sightseeing(minimal) breaks. My routing covers much of what you would be doing going from OC to SF. I entered Sequoia from 180 via Fresno and exited on 198 via Visalia. You would reverse this.

Google shows Irvine (picked at random) to downtown SF via a loop through Sequoia as 545 miles/10 hours.

Sooooo; you CAN probably do this in a 12 hour day, if you're as much of a lead foot as I am, and do minimal sightseeing. But it will be a LONG day, and you should plan on leaving early and be prepared to arrive late.

Thank you Southwest Dave!

Thank you CalOldBlue!