1. Default Winston-Salem, NC to Seattle, WA

My wife and I are planning a drive from Winston-Salem, NC to Seattle, WA at the end of the month (July) and have 5-7 days to finish the journey. Any suggestions on the route (I-40W -> I-5N vs. I-80W -> I-29N -> I-90W) this time of the year and any particular places to visit along the way. We are thinking of spending a bit of time that we have visiting/driving thru Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone NP. Any suggestions/ideas/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Floods and a magnificent pass.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

You will need to check the flood closures along I-29, and see how it affects your plans.

If you are planning on taking I-90 and visiting Yellowstone NP, may I suggest that you turn off at Laurel MT onto 212, and follow the Beartooth Highway through Red Lodge and over the magnificent Beartooth Pass. This is one of the lesser travelled entries into Yellowstone, and quite spectacular. Be sure to stop at the Top of the World Store, on your way, and don't be deceived by the 64 miles.... it takes several hours to drive.

Joplin MO

If your route involves I-29, essentially that is not an option between KC and Omaha due to the flooding. If you want to include Rushmore and Yellowstone, you JUST have ample time to do it if you can take 7 days - it's a full 5 day drive with no sightseeing via shortest route.

Take I-40 to Knoxville, I-75 to Lexington, I-64 to Louisville, spend the night. Take I-65 to Indy, I-74 to Moline, I-80 to Des Moines, spend the night. Take I-80 to I-680 to I-29 to Sioux Falls, then I-90 to Rapid City, spend the night. (I-29 is closed south of I-680)

Spend half a day around Rushmore, then get back on I-90 and spend the night in Billings.

Take I-90 to US-212 and go to Yellowstone via the Beartooth. Spend the night in or around the park, here is where you WILL need reservations.

Next day, you can see more of the park, but be out of there by noon or so, you will have to make it to Missoula that night to be able to go on to Seattle on the 7th day.