1. Default Bay Area to Chicago roadtrip in August

Hi All,

I'm planning a road trip from San Francisco/San Jose to Chicago in early August, planning to take about a week. Any suggestions on great places to stop would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

Default Many options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Have you decided upon a route yet ? I80 would be the quickest option and would be about 4 days of dedicated driving, but you have other options with a week to spare. As we know nothing of your interests or your idea of 'great' it's difficult to make meaningful suggestions, especially as there are thousands of options. I would recommend you look round the forums and other road trip planning pages above with a good map to hand and mark some places that appeal to you and your tastes. Once you have done so then we can help to join the dots up. For me, I would probably be looking to cut through to I70 [which is scenic in itself] and perhaps visit some of Southern Utah's and Colorado's scenic attractions and NP's, but you won't have a lot of free time to play with. You can find attractions and create routes in the Map centre abov to help with your planning.

3. Default

Thanks Dave! Fair point, I should have provided more details on what we're interested in. Basically we'd like to hit up some of the major American landmarks (would love to do the Grand Canyon but think it's too far out of our way). But other places like Yosemite and Yellowstone may be god stops for us.

City-wise, I'm curious what interesting places there are to stop at in Utah (Provo, SLC, etc) and Colorado (Denver, Aspen, Colorado Springs). Anything particularly scenic or well-known would be fun. The participants on this road trip spend a lot of time travelling the world, but haven't spent that much time exploring our own country! So we'd like to hit as many of those "big" spots as we can.

Any input would be appreciated!

4. Default

I'm planning a road trip from San Francisco/San Jose to Chicago in early August, planning to take about a week. Any suggestions on great places to stop would be much appreciated!
    Do you have 5 days, 7 days or can you use both weekends and have 9 days?

San Jose to Chicago is almost 2,200 miles the fastest route which will be mostly I-80. That alone is about 4 days of just driving.

If you add in Yosemite and Yellowstone you're looking at just over 2,500 miles and 5 days of just driving.

SEDave's idea of taking I-70 which has several National Parks within easy access is about 2,300 miles.

Utahtea

Default One of many.

One suggestion for 7 days.

Bay area to Lee vining [Tonopah?]. [Into Yosemite and over Tioga pass [CA120].]

Lee Vining/Tonopah to Springdale UT. [Zion NP].

Springdale to Moab UT [Arches NP] Possible route, past Bryce canyon on UT 'scenic' 12 to Torrey and then through Hanksville on UT24. [Will pass Bryce canyon and Capitol Reef NP's]

Moab to Georgetown/Granby CO. [Quick look around Arches NP prior to leaving. Take UT128 through Castle valley back to I70. Another detour onto US6 at Dillon will take you over the continental divide at the spectacular Loveland pass at almost 12000ft in elevation. ]

Granby to Estes park CO. [Over the Trail ridge road in Rocky mountain NP, which happens to be the highest continous paved highway in the USA.]

Estes to Omaha NE area

Chicago.

As I mentioned there are many, many options and this is biased towards the West, as that is what I know, plus an extra day or 2 would make a big difference to the experience.

6. Default Thank you

Thank you both for the recommendations - this is extremely helpful as we plan this trip. Much appreciated!