1. Default Aug trip LA to Chicago in 4 days- Best route advice?

Hi Everyone,

I am driving my niece to chicago with her car so she can have it at college. I will be travelling with my 12 year old nephew as well. We have allocated 4 days to make the trip so that we can sight see a little without going off the route too much. Any suggestions on the best way to go within these parameters? Thanks in advance.

South of England.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Have you decided which route ? I15/70/76/80 would appear to be the quickest, but there is hardly a noticeable difference with that or I40/44/55. I70 being one of the most scenic would be my choice. You can do the trip quite comfortably in 4 days, but as you rightly say you won't have much time for detours, you can expect to be on the road for about 9 hours a day with regular breaks, to eat and top up with gas. This thread has a list of places that you can take those breaks close to the Interstate and you can also use the Map centre above to find attractions. Try and divide your stops equally into days of around 500 miles and if you want the comfort of knowing where you will rest the night you can check out the 'Reservations' link in the tool bar above.

Look around the forums and planning pages and if you have any other questions just ask.