1. Default Boston & Maine in late Aug

Hi everyone,

Roadtripamerica newbie here! Have used the forums on numerous occasions, and found them really useful (thanks everyone!) when planning previous west coast trips (SF>LA and Vegas > SF via Yosemite and Sonoma), the wife and I have decided to stick closer to home (London, UK!) and try the east coast. We've booked return flights to Boston from the 22nd Aug - 2nd Sep (11 nights), and am in need of some help! We quite fancy 2 or 3 days in Boston, but as for the rest, then we are open to any suggestions! A former work colleague has recommended we pay Boothbay Harbor a visit. I also quite fancy visiting Providence, but think we might spend a day there by catching a train from Boston. Any other tips gratefully received!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Tell us a little more.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

You will need to tell us a little more about your interests and what you are hoping to achieve, for anyone to be able to give meaningful advice. What I can say is, that if you are renting a car, I highly recommend that you wait till you leave Boston. It is a city quite easy to get around in, and parking is not only hard to find, but can be very expensive. Make sure you bring your UK automobile club membership with you, as this will entitle you to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. Very useful! I have always found the Boston office most helpful.

I can't comment on Boothbay Harbor, as I am not familiar with it, but Providence is a nice place, but then, so is nearby Newport.

Tucson, AZ

Default Ideas, Ideas, Ideas

I agree with Lifey that a car is a liability, not an asset in Boston, However, if you are going to head down to Rhode Island, I would do so by car at the highlights of that state, Newport and Block Island (in my opinion), are not reachable by train. For some general ideas on what's available in New England, especially to the north of Boston, have a read through the discussions linked to here.

4. Default Thanks!

Thanks both!

Good tip re travelling to RI, and thanks for the link.