Default Trying to plan an East Coast Road Trip...

I am trying to plan an East Coast road trip with my mother sometime in October 2011. She was born in Maine and we have lots of family back there that'd we'd like to visit along with seeing some amazing attractions. I was thinking of a 10-12 day road trip. I figured we would fly into NY, NY, spend a couple days in the City and see the attractions, rent a car and then here's a list of other east coast cities we'd like to visit:

1. Niagara Falls
    2. Boston, Mass.
    3. Cape Cod, Mass.
    4. Portsmouth, NH
    5. Kennebunkport, Maine

And then head back down to NY, NY for the rest of the trip. Do you think this is possible to do in a 10-12 day trip? Also, the end of the road trip from Maine back down to NY, NY... what would be the best drive? Is there a coastal drive?

Thank you to anyone that has some advice!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Your Mom Will Be Your Best Source of Advice

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, hopefully your mom will have some great remembrances and ideas for what to see once you get Down East. If Portsmouth and Kennebunkport are already on your itinerary, I would say that's the case. It is, of course, possible to follow the coast between New York and Boston and on up to Maine, but in large measure it's not worth it. Certainly between New York and New Haven, the coast is simply to urbanized and industrialized to be enjoyable. But if you use the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) and CT-34 to New Haven the coast opens up considerably east of there and US-1 as well as local state routes offer a chance to see some scenic and interesting towns, especially Mystic, CT and Newport, RI.

Ten to twelve days is plenty of time to enjoy this neck of the woods. New York City to Portland can be done in a very easy day's drive., so the vast bulk of your time can be spent actually seeing and doing things rather than getting to them. As for that final drive back to New York, I would take a fairly direct route, I-495/I-290/I-90/I-84/I-684 and see some of the attractions along there such as Old Sturbridge Village and Mark Twain's house in West Hartford.