1. Default Wisconsin to New York - what's on the way?

We're going from WI to NY but I'm wondering which route to take and what's interesting to see on the way, or is it all just corn fields? We'll be traveling with 2 littles - 1 1/2 and 3 years old.

Default Details?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Requests for help that list only states as departure and destination points are rather hard to respond to as there is typically just not enough information to go on. In addition, knowing how much time you have for the drive, your's and your children's interests, and budgetary limits (if any) are also critical to giving you advice you can actually use.

AZBuck

3. Default

Ok - Milwaukee to Long Island, no time constraints, we don't want to spend a lot of money but some is ok, and our interests are basically nature-related and maybe historical. If we go through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey (I think I did that right!), what's around there? I've always wanted to go to Niagara Falls, but that's totally out of the way, right? I don't want to make too much of a detour with little ones. Sights in Wisconsin we can always do another time, and Chicago as well. And I'm from NY so I know what's there. I'm talking about the middle part - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania... maybe Amish country? Any pretty nature attractions? Something to break up the trip in middle.

The whole stretch of I-80 in PA is mountainous (by midwest standards) and very scenic. There's state parks and national forests all over the area not terribly far off the Interstate, and if you are interested, the Little League Baseball complex and museum is in Williamsport.

If you are interested in amusement parks, Cedar Point is one of the most highly regarded parks in the world, it's in Sandusky OH on the shore of Lake Erie.

Default Age Appropriate Stops

With very little ones, such as you'll be travelling with, there is no need for great big venues. They'll be just as happy with short time outs every couple of hours such as glc suggested. You don't have a lot of spare time if you plan to make the trip in just two days, so stick to places close to the highway. You should probably look to spend the night somewhere between Cleveland and Youngstown. Also, while Pennsylvania Amish country is well off your route. the Ohio Amish community is centered around Millersburg, about 50 miles southwest of where the Akron area.

AZBuck

In Morristown, NJ, there is Gen. Washington's Headquarters at the Ford house. Nearby is Fort Nonsense, which is a WONDERFUL place for a family picnic!

If you don't mind shooting down to the PA Turnpike which is a bit further south of I-80, there is the Hershey complex.

Donna

7. Default

Thanks everybody. I think we'll stick with state parks that are not far off the highway, as we do want to do it in 2 days. Is there an easy way to plan a nice scenic stop every 2-3 hours? Is that realistic with little kids, or should I just plan to stop whenever we need to? It seems like a lot of planning. I like being able to be spontaneous, I don't want to have to stick to a rigid plan, but I don't just want to stop at gas stations the whole way. Also, what's a good way to pick a hotel/motel? We plan on stopping in Cleveland for dinner and we want to stay somewhere close by. Definitely doesn't need to be fancy, as cheap and basic as possible without it being gross. Is $50 doable? Will they let my 2 kids stay in the room with us?

Thanks for your help - I've never done this before!

Default They're all on maps

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeemom View Post
    I think we'll stick with state parks that are not far off the highway, as we do want to do it in 2 days. Is there an easy way to plan a nice scenic stop every 2-3 hours?
    From what I have seen, all good maps and road atlasses show all State Parks and Forests, etc... certainly Rand McNally and AAA do. Make sure you are armed with good maps, and pick your stops accordingly. As well as that, you can't do much better than study the link AZBuck posted.

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeemom View Post
    ... as cheap and basic as possible without it being gross. Is $50 doable? Will they let my 2 kids stay in the room with us?
    With two littlies, I'd plan on spending a little more than that. Chances are cheaper places may not provide adquately for the children.

Lifey