1. Default Reston, VA to Buffalo, NY - Ideas via US 15.

Greetings!

My first post here. We are a family with 2 Kids (6 and 12) travelling to Niagara falls (staying in Bufallo) starting next week. We usually take the US 15 to 70 west to I 79 and I 90. I wanted to know the feasibility of taking US 15 all the way to NY (construction work updates etc) and also the rest areas alongside US 15. Please help.

Best Regards

Joe.

Welcome!

That's certainly feasible, but I doubt that you could complete the drive in one day going that way.

I ran Reston to Buffalo through my mapping program, and it came up with the following as the most direct way:

US-15/I-70/I-99/PA-350/US-322/PA-970/I-80/PA-153/PA-255/US-219

This is about 75 miles shorter than your Interstate route and shouldn't take more than a couple hours longer. It's also quite scenic. My software actually says that it's about 15 minutes faster, but I have a hard time believing that - there's a lot of 2 lane roads and towns involved.

3. Default

Thank you Sir! Could you post exactly how many miles in each, i am trying google maps but it does not come up with your route, could you please tell me how many hours total to bufallo with your route? The route which we usually take is US15/I70/I70-I76/I79/I90. Just wanted to see how your route (more scenic) comapares to mine in terms of hours. Thanks again.

Best Regards

Chandra.

I can't really give you hours, as mapping programs are notoriously inaccurate. They don't take traffic into account and use an average speed algorithm for time on non-Interstates that doesn't always account for going through towns. If you know how long it takes you by the Interstate route you posted, I would GUESS it could be up to 2 hours longer. As I said, it's 75 miles shorter.