1. Default San Francisco to Vancouver

My husband and I are from Australia so I am looking for a little local knowledge of the best route tio follow to drive from San Francisco via Portland and Seattle to Vancouver in late September. I was allowing four or five days for the trip and we hope to stay in motels or B&Bs at night. Can anyone advise on the best route to take, where to stop and what to see on the way please? Do not want to get too far of the route as we have a train to catch in Vancouver. Is it worth the drive? We have driven San Diego to San Francisco a few times now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Is there much to see or would we be better to climb into yet another train carriage for the journey. We would greatly appreciate some advice.

Joplin MO

One question - are you planning on renting a car in SF and dropping it off in Vancouver? That will probably not be possible, you will need to drop it off in Seattle and take public transportation to Vancouver.

You shouldn't have a problem with 4 days to get from SF to Seattle - you can drive up the coast on CA-1 to US-101, and when time starts running out you can cross over to I-5 to expedite your arrival in Seattle. This will be scenery that you cannot see from the train.