Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Redding, California to Denver, Colorado

Hi:

Will be traveling to Denver from Redding, California pulling a U-haul trailer. No kids, just three adults.

What would be the best route for us pulling the trailer?

Welcome!

Your easiest tow is probably going to be sticking to the Interstates - I-5 to I-80, then at SLC, take I-215/I-15 north to I-84 back to I-80 to avoid Parley's Summit, to I-25. However, you COULD take CA-44 to Susanville, then US-395 to Reno to pick up I-80 and cut 100 miles off. This would actually cut off Donner Pass on I-80, but I don't know how easy the tow would be on those roads.

How big/heavy a U-Haul, and what are you towing it with?

I hope you are planning on a couple of overnight stops - you are looking at 1300 to 1400 miles. With 3 drivers, you could do it in 2 very long days, but you really do need a stop midway sleeping in real beds. I'd look at Wendover for that. Breaking it into 3 equal days, look at Winnemucca and Evanston WY.

Please remember that U-Haul trailers are not safe over what is placarded on the fender - depending on the trailer it's either 55 or 65 mph.

3. Default 1989 Jeep Cherokee

We will be towing with a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. Have experience pulling a trailer and know that we will be traveling at 55 mph. We will be towing a 5 x 8 trailer. Last month we pulled the trailer 9 hours from San Luis Obispo to Redding and 55 mph is a great speed. We plan on taking 3 days of driving.

Thank you for the information.

Very sensible. In that case, I'd save the 100 miles and take 44/395 to I-80, and go ahead and go over Parleys. A 5x8 is no sweat for a Cherokee. If it has an automatic overdrive transmission, I would recommend you lock it out of overdrive to avoid overheating it.

5. Default Bakersfield, CA to Denver, CO

Would like to visit Las Vegas on the way to Denver, Co. What would be the best route with a trailer (5 x 8) pulled by a Jeep Cherokee to Denver, CO. Would prefer easy route with less mountains to pull the trailer.

Thank You

Mod note. Please keep all questions about this trip in this thread.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-18-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Merged threads.

How heavy is the trailer? How much time do you have to make the trip?

The most obvious route, to me, would be to make your way over to I-15 N, to Las Vegas. Then continue I-15 N out of Las Vegas to I-70 East in Utah.

The worst uphill climb is at Vail Pass, west of Denver.

Another route - go up I-15 (out of your way to be sure) to Las Vegas, then drop back down US 95 to I-40 East. Take that to Albuquerque, where you pick up I-25 N. I don't think the pass that direction is quite so steep, but it's been awhile since I've been on that route (and was going south at the time). So I'll let others here chime in about that route.

Donna

7. Default

We will be pulling a 5 x 8 U-Haul trailer. We plan on spending the night in Las Vegas and then one night ? then Denver, Co.

Going from Bakersfield now instead of Redding?

Going via Albuquerque adds about 275 miles to the trip. You could go via Salt Lake City, but that adds about 200 miles.

9. Default

We have never been to Las Vegas and thought it would be fun to visit on the way. Yes, we are still leaving from Redding and thought Bakersfield would be a good stopping point. Then on to Vegas then Denver.

10. Default

The most obvious route, to me, would be to make your way over to I-15 N, to Las Vegas. Then continue I-15 N out of Las Vegas to I-70 East in Utah.
    I agree that this is the most direct route and also a very scenic one. The passes are: Vail Pass is 10,603 feet, Eisenhower Tunnel is 11,013 feet (The Tunnel prohibits vehicles over 13" 6" in height) and my Mountain Directory West shows two other passes. If you go this route make sure your vehicle is rated to pull the amount of weight you will have! This route is 750 miles and Green River, Utah will be about half way and a good place to spend the night.

Another route - go up I-15 (out of your way to be sure) to Las Vegas, then drop back down US 95 to I-40 East. Take that to Albuquerque, where you pick up I-25 N.
    This route is a lot longer at at 1,070 miles but there are fewer passes and they grades aren't as bad. This way you have Raton Pass at the New Mexico/Colorado border at elevation 7,834. I-25 north in Colorado is on the plains with the Rocky Mts to your left as you travel north.

Utahtea