1. Default Honeymoon Sept/Oct 2012 - Orlando to Kellermans (Mountain lake Hotel)

Hello everyone.

We are getting married in August 2012 and are looking into our honeymoon options.

We have been to the US a few times, Orlando once, LA/Vegas twice and New York so are up to speed with how things work over there.

My future wife adores Dirty Dancing and has always wanted to stay at the resort it was filmed. Given that there is still a lot to do in Florida that we couldnt fit in the last time we went this is our plan:

Fly to Orlando Int Airport
    Drive up to Mountain Lake hotel (Stay 1 night on the way) - 750 miles / 11 hours
    Mountain Lake Hotel (2 nights)
    Drive back to Orlando(Stay 1 night on the way) - 750 miles / 11 hours
    Stay in a villa for the remaining 10 nights

Does the driving part of our plan sound reasonable/realistic?

Does anyone have any tips/recommendations for the driving part?

We are hoping to save enough money to be able to use the Hertz reserve a specific car option - i want to drive the camaro SS :D

Default No, not really.

Hi Paul, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

And congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

It looks as if you got those driving times from a computer mapping program, in which case you have to take into consideration that these programs drive at or above the speed limit at all times, never need to slow down for traffic congestion, never strike any road construction and certainly are never held up in case of accident. Further more, they have no need to stop for fuel, use the bathroom or have a meal, not even to admire a roadside attraction or take a photo.

With 750 miles, you are more likely to be looking at around 14 hours driving time.

Lifey

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi Paul, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

And congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

It looks as if you got those driving times from a computer mapping program, in which case you have to take into consideration that these programs drive at or above the speed limit at all times, never need to slow down for traffic congestion, never strike any road construction and certainly are never held up in case of accident. Further more, they have no need to stop for fuel, use the bathroom or have a meal, not even to admire a roadside attraction or take a photo.

With 750 miles, you are more likely to be looking at around 14 hours driving time.

Lifey
    Hi Lifey,

thanks for your reply and your advice.

We will increase the expected journey time after your advice to 14 hours! Both of us will be driving so we can share the work but I think a night stay on the way there and back would be wise. Ive driven 4/5 hours continuous before with no problems but not more than that :)

Any recommendations for the trip and any worthwhile stopping points/attractions?

Default Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by paulworsnop View Post
    Any recommendations for the trip and any worthwhile stopping points/attractions?
    Worthwhile stopping points are very much an individual thing. What I may want to pass by, might just be your 'must see'. So check out the attractions and map centre tabs on the green bar above, and see what appeals to you. It is also worthwhile to search around the forums with the keyword search, above.

But to be honest, I am not familiar with 'Kellermans (Mountain lake Hotel)', have not been able to find it on the map, nor in my atlas.

Lifey

I think a night stay on the way there and back would be wise.
    I think that would be VERY wise!

Kellermans is in Pembroke VA. Have you considered flying into Washington DC or some other city in that area and renting a car for dropoff at Orlando, then flying home from there?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I think that would be VERY wise!

Kellermans is in Pembroke VA. Have you considered flying into Washington DC or some other city in that area and renting a car for dropoff at Orlando, then flying home from there?
    We have considered that but the additional cost of flights into Washington and out of Orlando plus the excess charges for 1 way rental would mean the cost would dramatically rise.

Plus we are determined to pre-book and rent the camaro ss for 2 weeks which would be amazing to drive on a 1500 mile road trip :)