1. Default Advice Please - King's Canyon to Death Valley Driving Route

Hi

Have booked into John Muir Lodge for one night and then the next night at Stovepipe Wells; however I realise I should have thought about planning the driving route here before making the bookings! Too late now though as I fly out to SF next week....

I would be really grateful for any advice on routes and times etc as I can't get any sense from any route planner I've tried and the map I have doens't seem to show me roads in the Kings Canyon Park....

Many thanks :)

CB

Default You can't go over the mountains.

Hi Claire, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

You can't actually go directly from King's Canyon to Death Valley. You will need to drive round the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountains. The quickest way appears to be through Bakersfield, onto 395 and take 190 into Death Valley. The alternative, though longer route is to go north through Yosemite NP over Tioga Pass, down 395 to Lone Pine.

Lifey

It's about 350 miles from John Muir to Stovepipe Wells. This is doable in one LONG day, but you won't be able to make very many stops. The fastest way is take Highway 180 west toward Fresno, then Highway 63 south to Visalia, Highway 99 to Bakersfield, then 178 to 14 to 395 to 190. Plan on at least 8 hours. Taking the Generals Highway (198) through Sequoia to Three Rivers to Visalia (highly recommended) would add at least another couple hours.

You can download detailed park maps at the nps.gov site.

4. Default .....change of plan

Hi Both

Thank you both so much for your help and advice. I've decided to go from Yosemite straight over to Death Valley with a stop at Bishop rather than go to Kings Canyon this trip......change of accommodation made without too much extra expense so I'm now looking forward to the much shorter drive across Tioga Pass and then down the 395 :) Kings Canyon on the next trip!

CB

That is a very wise choice if you are time-limited. If you want to see some big trees, you can visit the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite.

I also hope you have time to drive up to Glacier point in Yosemite, the views are spectacular !
    Also, allow yourself some time on route to Bishop to be able to make some stops and take in the views along the Tioga pass [CA120]. Have a great trip, perhaps you could drop by and share your highlights with us ?