Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Advice needed - Planning Honeymoon road trip West Coast USA

Hi,

I am hoping some folks might be able to help here.

We are from England, and our planning our honeymoon for July next year. Now I need to get this booked promptly as we need extra legroom on the flights and it is first come first served basis. I have narrowed the options down to two routes and would love some assistance on the pro's and con's of each, and which in your opinion is the better.

Option 1
    Fly to Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon
    Palm Springs
    San Diego
    Laguna Beach
    Los Angeles
    Pismo Beach
    Monterey
    San Francisco

Option 2
    FLy to San Francisco
    Yosemite
    Death Valley
    Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon
    Palm Springs
    San Diego
    Laguna Beach
    Los Angeles

I am planning a 17 night trip. As you can see they are similar in a lot of the places to visit, but the one trip incorporates Yosemite and Death Valley, and the other covers the coastline between LA and San Francisco.

Please help!
    Thanks in advance

Welcome!

With 17 days you could do both! I'd plan on a "loop" trip, arriving and departing from the same city. Airfares and car rentals will be cheaper this way. I'd plan on doing this in a counter-clockwise direction, so the scenic pullouts would be on your side of the road on the Pacific Coast Highway.

Default An alternative view

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    We are from England, and our planning our honeymoon for July next year.
    Congratulations on your pending wedding! And welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

I like that you've tried to reduce your on the road time -- and as much as loop trips can be significant money savers, honeymoons ought to include time for lounging in bed, by the pool and quiet walks at night.

A couple of points...

July and August along the west coast is often foggy for most of the day. As the central valley heats up, fog forms along the coast and it can be quite chilly. That being said, there are some lovely places to explore along the coast. For that reason, I'd choose Option 1 (but like glc suggested) I start at San Francisco and drive south along the coast (pull-outs are easier to reach).

Actually, it's your trip! What kind of scenery interests you more? Mountain or coast? Do you want time to shop or would you rather be hiking?

What sort of budget do you have?

Mark

Hi, thank you both for replying.

I did toy with the idea of a loop, but as Mark said, it really has been a case of trying to limit the driving time. It is difficult for us English to grasp the scale of America, as we can travel the height of England in about 7 hours driving!

That is interesting regarding the fog, inside knowledge you see!

Well what do we want? That is good question. We realyl are after a variety of things from this trip and to see as broad a view of the West as possible as unlikely to come back any time soon unfortunately. So I think the picutre of Yosemite and Death Valley look breathtaking, and terrain that we do not have here. My concern with option 1 is there is a lot of coast and not as much inland if that makes sense.

Budget, well excluding the flights, we will have approx £2k.

Default Good Shape

Seventeen days and a couple of thousand pounds (~$3,200) should allow you ample resources for your trip. As for some ideas of what's generally available to you in the area you'll be exploring, have a look at the discussions linked to here.

AZBuck

A great place to spend a honeymoon for a couple nights would be in Cambria on the Pacific Coast Highway. It's a charming town with inns, B&B's, galleries, boutiques, and cafes. If you have time, I'd recommend you book a Hearst Castle tour.

Yes to Cambria for a honeymoon trip. Recommend Robin's for dinner one night. And for sure pre-book a Hearst Castle tour.

That said, Yosemite and Death Valley are pretty special too; but DV in July is going to be hot.

If you want to stay in Yosemite Valley itself, you should also pre-book. For a real splurge, consider staying at the Ahwahnee (really really expensive). For a minor splurge, book a dinner or lunch in the dining room there.

Ahwahnee (really really expensive)
    You got that right! It's over $400 a night!

Default You can't go wrong !

There is no right or wrong answer, just the option that appeals to you the most. I have faced the same type of dilemma and opted for Yosemite and Death valley based on the fact that we have some spectacular coastlines of our own in the UK, but we don't quite have anything as spectacular as Yosemite here or anything like Death valley. The diversity is incredible. As mentioned above and possibly a downside is that DV will be extremely hot, although that wouldn't stop you enjoying the wonderful landscape from the car with short walks to viewpoints etc and spending a night there. Just carry water and sun protection in the car.

I understand that being your honeymoon you don't want to rush things, but if making the decision becomes too 'tough', you could drive the coast road and enjoy the scenery over a 2 day period between SF and LA and take option 2 and close the loop, but in the opposite direction.

The main thing is that what ever option you take you are going to be amazed and you will have an amazing Honeymoon !!

Default Car Hire

Hi All,

We are coming from the UK in March/April for a 16 night road trip to California and Nevada.

I am looking for some recommendations for companies to use please.

Also, are you aware if travelling across two states may be of concern to the hire company?

Your help is really appreciated.

Nat

Please keep all questions about this trip in one thread, Thank-you.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-06-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Merged Threads.