Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Yosemite to Las Vegas throught Death Valley??

My name is Matteo and I am an Italian tourist who will visit next August in the beautiful United States of America with my wife.
    My itinerary includes, 16th August, the transfer from Oakhurst (Yosemite) to Las Vegas through Death Valley, if we can do it in a single day.
    I ask you, experts of the roads in the U.S., if:
    1 - is a possible route in a day or should I abandon the idea of ​​passing throught Death Valley
    2 - if the route is feasible for the DV, which is the best way starting from Oakhurst.

The possibilities, of course, are:
    A) Oakhurst, Tioga Pass, Mammoth Lake, Bishop, Big Pine, Lone Pine and then Death Valley
    B) Oakhurst, Fresno, Bakersfield, Mojave, Ridgecrest and then Death Valley.

I will arrive at the Hotel Luxor in Las Vegas in the evening.

Thank you so much for helping me!!

p.s. I'm sorry for my very bad american english...i will try to improve in this days!!

Matteo

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can certainly do this trip and include Death Valley into your plans.

The route you'd want to take is over the very scenic tioga pass. Your day will be a fairly long one, but mostly because of the number of things you could stop and see along the way. The miles themselves will be fairly easy to do in a day.

And your english is just fine!

Default It can be done, but...

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. This route is discussed often by members of this roadtripping community. It is possible to travel from Oakhurst to Death Valley, but you won't have much time to see much of Yosemite or Death Valley. If you drove direct (either via Tioga Pass or the southern route) you'd need to plan be on the road about 10 hours. If you actually wanted to see the more scenic overlooks in Yosemite Valley or areas of Death Valley National Park, you'd need to add 4+ hours to your journey.

The fastest route (northern route) is this one to Las Vegas, ~ 8 hours.

Are you sure you can't stay one more night in between? Bishop would be a lovely stop after spending a nice day in Yosemite Valley and then you could see more of Death Valley enroute to Las Vegas.

Mark

4. Default

Thank you for reply.
    Mark, my path from Oakhurst to Las Vegas will take place in one day because the day before, August 15, we will visit the Yosemite Park and just sleep in Oakhurst; unfortunately I know it would need an extra night, for example in Bishop, but we have already booked to Luxory in LV, for the night of 16.

I am comforted that I can go through, although a bit faster, the Death Valley...

Thank you!!

Have you considered staying the night somewhere else besides Oakhurst? You could cross Tioga Pass on the 15th and sleep in Lee Vining.

6. Default

Glc, you're right!
    Unfortunately, we trusted the agency that has booked the 2 nights, the 15 to Oakhurst Shilo Inn Hotel and the 16 at the Luxor in LV ... and we have already paid for both nights. The request was just inherent the possibility (in time and worth) to pass through the Death Valley in the transfer from Oakhurst to LV.

Default How sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ilverga View Post
    Unfortunately, we trusted the agency ...
    How sad! You travel half way round the globe, and because of the advice of someone who likey has never driven the route, you have to rush through Death Valley, instead of spending quality time in that amazing national park. Maybe you will have time while in LV, to make a day trip to DV.

Lifey

8. Default

To bad you didn't find this forum first before booking! At least you have one full day planned for Yosemite!

Utahtea

Default You don't 'get', if you don't ask !

Unfortunately, we trusted the agency that has booked the 2 nights, the 15 to Oakhurst Shilo Inn Hotel and the 16 at the Luxor in LV ... and we have already paid for both nights.
    Have you asked the agency if they can change your Oakhurst booking for Lee vining, Mammoth or Bishop? It really shouldn't be a problem and it can't do any harm to ask. It would make a huge difference to your trip plan.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Have you asked the agency if they can change your Oakhurst booking for Lee vining, Mammoth or Bishop? It really shouldn't be a problem and it can't do any harm to ask. It would make a huge difference to your trip plan.
    Thank you for the idea...tomorrow we'll ask the agency if it is possible to change the reservation. If this can't happen, I'll make a sense and the next day I'm going to enjoy the Tioga Pass in the morning.
    Thank you again!!
    (...If I had firts discovered this forum!?!...)