Thread: Road Trip Help

1. Default Road Trip Help

Hello everyone, my friends and I are in quite a dilemma. All 3 of us want to go on a roadtrip this august for a "last hurrah" before we go to college but have no clue on where to go. We are from southeastern Michigan but we have all already seen most of everything in Michigan so we were looking for something else in the mid-west but we don't know what to do. If anyone could give us ideas on where to take a roadtrip to in the mid-west would be great.

Thank You

Default A few questions

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forums.

Other than that there three of you, you have not really told us anything about your party to be able to give any meaningful suggestions. So how long do you have for this trip? What are your collective interests? What is your budget? And last, but by no means least, what are the ages? All of these questions will have a bearing on the advice members here can offer.

Lifey

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I certainly understand the desire to get out of your home state, and if you want to get out of the state for this adventure, by all means do it.

However, I do have to laugh a bit when you say that you've "seen most everything in Michigan." I'll tell you, I've been living in Wisconsin for about 8 years, I go out exploring several times every month, and there is still so much I haven't even begun to see. I still find new thing without any difficulty, and I still discover things that I didn't even know about. Michigan's an even bigger state - and I'm pretty sure if you'd spend 18 years of Adulthood living in the UP, you wouldn't even scratch the surface of that part of your state alone!

Again, I'm not saying you should stay in Michigan for this trip - I'm just saying you might want to rethink your perspective a bit, or you're going to miss out on a whole lot no matter where you end up going and/or you'll skip over a lot of things you might have found interesting.

As Lifey mentioned, we aren't going to be able to provide much more help in the way of specifics until we know more about you. One more question/thing to consider - do each of you have passports? They'd be needed if you want to include Canada in the list of possibilities.

4. Default

Sorry I should have gone into more detail on the original posts. 2 of us are 18 and one is 19. We are planning for it to be at least 1 week long either the 1st or 2nd week of august. As for interest we all pretty much like anything such as camping,hiking,touring big cities, visiting monuments, etc. We also do not mind if some of its in Michigan but we'd like to go elsewhere. Thanks again for the help.

Default Just a thought.

In that case, have you thought of doing a circuit around Lake Michigan? That would hit a bit of everything you mention, with some great beaches and cities.

Lifey

You didn't answer the passport questions, but if you do have them, I could see you doing a loop of Lake Huron. You could head over to Toronto for the big city, then up to the Georgian Bay area for some camping and hiking.

With a week, the Smokey Mountains, or a trip around Nashville, Mammoth Cave, Land Between the Lakes, etc are a couple more of your many many possibilities.