1. Default WANTED: Camping gear in San Francisco / OFFER: Camping gear in LA

Hi,
    I will be travelling the National Parks in the Southwest in September.
    Since I fly from Europe, and don't want to take all my camping gear on the plane, I was thinking of buying second-hand gear or otherwise buy it in Walmart and sell it at the end of my trip.

The dates of my trip are as follows:

Start at San Francisco (30 August - 2 September)
    Finish in LA (14-16 September).

I'm interested in a tent for 2 people, mattress, grill, and camping light.
    If anyone is in the same situation and is in the area around the same dates please reply.
    Any other suggestions on where to buy / rent cheap camping gear are more than welcome!

Thanks!

Default Craigslist

Almost a decade ago, I did something like that. I got onto Craigslist, and posted a 'wanted' ad, as well as responding to 'for sale' ads. Explained my position, and when I would be arriving. You could be surprised by the responses you get.

The same, before I left. Four or five days before I arrived in LA, I advertised my camping equipment for sale, and stated clearly when it would be available, and where (the hostel where I had booked to stay). All of it was sold.

Try it, it won't cost you anything.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 07-07-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar

3. Default

Thanks for your suggestion!
    I tried to post but they now have this security system in which you need to give a US phone number for verification so I can't go past the last stage of posting. I'll try to buy a SIM card on my first day and post it again. Thanks for your contribution!

Default Try to find a way through it.

I have not used Craigslist for some time. Is there any way the administrators of the site can be contacted... if there is, I would ask them for guidance. Or do you have any family or friends in the US, who would allow you to use their number.

Seems that sort of measure puts a huge restriction on the usefulness of Craigslist.

A while back I wanted to use another website, which had the same restriction, and on contacting the administrators, they told me just to put in zeros for the phone number. It then gave me access.

Don't just give up.

Lifey

5. Default

Yes, I wrote them. Let's hope they reply...
    Thanks!

You will find it a lot easier (and probably cheaper) to buy a whole prepaid phone here than just a sim card.

7. Default

Really? How does it work then? I buy a prepaid phone and I have a number of minutes to call included in the price?

Yes, and you can buy refill cards for the phone everywhere as needed, most convenience stores in gas stations sell them. One example is the AT&T "Go-Phone" which can be bought for about $20 at Walmart and other stores.