Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Planning 30th Wedding Anniv Trip out West.

My husband & I are planning a road-trip out West. We've never been west & would like to see Yellowstone & Mt Rushmore. We are leaving from central Indiana & have two weeks to travel. After visiting a lot of confusing websites we are more confused than ever as to where to go & where to stay. We are kind of off the beaten path types & prefer the scenery, and quaint towns vs the crowds. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Tell us a little more

First, congratulations on your 30th anniversary and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Two weeks is a reasonable period of time for such a trip. Are you going to be camping or staying in motels? How much travel would be ideal for you in a given day? Do you prefer hiking or shopping in small towns? What kind of budget do you have? What are you driving?

Mark

Default Depending upon the route....

Depending upon how much zigging and zagging you do, this trip will be ~ 3800 miles, so you'll need to probably be on the road at least some of each of the days you've allotted. You can use the Map Center mapping tools to map out a basic route and then see what RTA attractions are found along the way. And as you share more of your trip goals with us, we'll add comments.

Mark

4. Default

Thank you! We will be staying in motels/hotels. As far as traveling per day...that's a good question. The first few days we figure we will travel all day, stop somewhere & head out again. If we see someplace we want to stay then we'll stop. We like easy hiking...we are middle aged. I like to shop antiques! Otherwise not really. Our budget right now is around $2500 or so. We'll be traveling in a Suzuki 4WD Touring car. We get around 30 miles to the gal.

Default Getting started.

Plugging those details into the RTA Fuel Cost Calculator, your fuel costs will be ~$570
    Your 3800.0 mile (6115.3 km) road trip will cost you about 570.00 in fuel, based on an efficiency of 30.00 miles per gallon and a total fuel volume of 126.67 gallons. (Your fuel cost per mile will be about 0.15.) Obviously as your planning continues the mileage count could increase or decrease. I generally don't get reservations when I'm on the road because I like the flexibility of choosing where I'm going to stop for the night, when I'm still on the road. But the RTA Reservations service has some killer hotel deals right now.. so you might want to look at some of the key cities and see what you see.

OK, I've got to jump off here for a few moments, but I'll be back soon. If you put the names of some of the towns you're interested in seeing in the Google search box (top of this page) you can read some of our suggestions about places to see in the vicinity.

Mark

6. Default

Maybe this road -trip is too aggressive for us...is there a way we can take a leisurely trip & still see some of the west?

Default How about a Fly-n-Drive?

If you flew from Indianapolis (or wherever central Indiana is) to Billings, Montana and then did a loop trip to Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Wind Cave, Yellowstone and back to Billings? Much easier pace, get to see so much beautiful country and actually relax a bit. Here's an introduction to the Fly and Drive Road Trip.

Or even to Minneapolis or Salt Lake City or Denver...

Mark

8. Default

Congratulations on your upcoming Anniversary!

What time of the year are you planning your trip?

The only place I'd recommend making reservations once you decide on your route and dates would be for Yellowstone. Lodging in the park books up early but there are always cancellations.

Utahtea

Default Maybe a few more days?

My congratulations on reaching this milestone in your marriage. A trip is such a great way to celebrate. And, as UtahTea asked, a lot will depend on when you are taking this trip. Though, I would have to agree with Mark, that it is a bit rushed.

On the other hand, fly / drive has advantages and disadvantages, and you have to weigh these up, see how they fit in with your travel style. Is there any possibility of extending the trip somewhat?

Lifey

10. Default

I don't think we want to fly.
    Last edited by LKJames; 07-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.