Default Road Trip from Seattle to San Francisco

Hey everyone,

It´s my first day here in this Forum and i´ve got a pretty important question.

My fiance and i want to spent a two weeks vacation in Canada/USA next summer (mid of June).
    We´re planning to stay one week in BC and then we´d like to drive to Seattle and then hit the road to SF. We´re flying from Germany to Vancouver and back from SF to Germany.

Now here are my Questions:

Can someone recommend a Car rental Service in Seattle?

Where do we find nice Motel´s on the Road?

Where do we have to stop to see places of special interest?

How long will this Trip take? Is one week enough? (because i wanted to spent maybe 1-2 days in Seattle & SF)

And which Route is the best for this Trip?

I really hope that someone can help me out on this, cause we have to plan it all early.

Thanks a lot in advance

Southern California

Hi, and welcome to RTA. To answer some of your questions:

1) Renting a car. There may be others here who have a suggestion, but I do know that picking up a car in Seattle and dropping it off in San Francisco will cost you a drop off fee. There is a place in BC that deals with USA car rentals and may be able to waive the fee, but I don't know the website.

2) Finding a hotel on the road is EASY. Most towns and cities have motels! Budget motels are usually your mom-and-pop places, and Motel 6. Mid-range include Super 8, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, and Best Western.

3) Take a good look at a USA road map - places of interest may be highlighted or off to the side. If you are a member of an auto club in your home country, they may be able to help you with a road map of the USA and maybe even a book or two. Once you have an idea of what you might like to see, we can help you fine-tune the route and the driving plan.

4) One week ... well that depends on what you want to see! It's about a 2-3 day drive from Seattle to San Francisco, particularly to get used to the road and to stop and see things along the way.

5) The "best" route is the one YOU want to take. As I said, get a USA map and see if something jumps out at you.

Off the top of my head - in Washington State, there is Mount Rainier, Mount St Helens, North Cascades National Park. Oregon has Crater Lake National Park, Portland (the city), Oregon Caves National Monument. Northern California has Mount Shasta, Lassen Volcanic, and more. In one week you can't do all of these and still make the drive, but you could pick one or two!