Default Route Help, Boston to MD to Asheville NC and back.

Hi All,

I am heading from Boston To Potomac MD and would like to avoid NY and all the traffic it entails. I have been trying to adjust trip tix on AAA and I just can't figure the thing out. After MD I am heading to Asheville NC. I need to make same trip backwards as well.

Would love help with route and maybe things to do on way. I am Leaving Boston on Monday and need to be in Asheville on Wed eve. Is it possible to drive Boston to Potomac in one day or do you think that is just too much? There are 2 of us going but I am the only one who drives.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-05-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite Possible

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The subject of how to avoid all the east coast traffic while negotiating the BosWash corridor comes up from time to time, and is actually fairly simple. For the additional 'price' of driving about 40 extra miles you can avoid New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and everything in between. And still make it from Boston to Washington in a solid but quite doable day. You simply stay on I-84 at Hartford and continues west all the way to Scranton, PA where you get on I-81 down to Harrisburg. From there US-15 to Frederick puts you in position to enter the DC area from the northwest on I-270.

You'll have a little more time on the second day down to Ashville, but not a lot. Think about hopping over from I-81 to the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoying that very scenic drive for as long as you can. If time gets short, you just pop back on to I-81.