Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New york to Miami 15 days

Hi, im 20 years old and have just booked a flight with my girlfriend to New York and return trip from Miami between the dates of 1st September and 15th September.

We will be using the Greyhound Discovery Pass to travel around.

This is the plan so far:

New York - 3 Nights
    Philadelphia - 1 Day
    Washington DC - 2 Nights
    Richmond
    Raleigh (possible stay over night in either Richmond or Raleigh)
    Myrtle Beach - 1 Night
    Charleston - 1 Day
    Savannah - 2 Nights
    Jacksonville - 1 Day
    Orlando - 3 nights
    Miami - 3 Nights

No hotels are booked yet and i think that i probably will only book a hotel in advance in new york and miami, the other places will just find somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay in.

I also need somewhere to stay between Raleigh and Myrtle beach as it is a 6 hour coach journey a little to long.

any recommendation on places to stop at instead of the ones above or even as well as will be greatly appreciated. I have only really just chosen big towns to stop of at by looking at google maps without doing research about them.

also any tourist attractions worth seeing along the east coast would also be a great help.

our breakdown of budget is as follows:
    Flights = £400 pp
    Coach = $350 pp
    Accommodation = $1000
    Food and Amenities = $2400

Does $2400 sound enough for food and Amenities and $1000 for accommodation?

thanks Josh
    Once again any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)
    Last edited by jtg91; 07-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Default NYC accommodation

Quote Originally Posted by jtg91 View Post
    No hotels are booked yet and i think that i probably will only book a hotel in advance in new york and miami, the other places will just find somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay in.
    In NYC, I can highly recommend the HI. Very comfortable, central, close to Central Park and subway as well as busses at the door. And really a secure place for young folk. It needs to be booked well ahead, Being the most secure hostel in NYC, it is much in demand. And even though hostels charge by the person, it would most likely work out the same or even cheaper than a good secure hotel in a desirable area, in Manhattan. Ten years ago, it did not have mixed rooms and dorms, I am not sure if this has changed over the years.

Lifey

3. Default

Thanks for the reply lifey, just checked the hostel you recommended and it seems that there is no rooms available for the time we go but thank you for the advice.

I found a hotel called hotel carter that seems to be in a good location, the reviews dont look to good but then some of the reviews say its not to bad and its good value for money due to location.

does anyone know of the Hotel Carter in New York?

thanks josh

Default Keep checking.

Josh, since it is a couple of months before you travel, I would keep checking it. From time to time they do get cancellations. And I know for a fact that they run the place on the same principles as airlines... I think their overbook limit is 12.

I am not at all surprised that it is fully booked. It is a great and secure place. When staying in NYC I always have to plan and book that one months in advance. It may pay to pick up the phone and speak with the staff at the hostel. Not the central booking agency, but the actual booking desk at the hostel.

BTW. I would be checking the HI in Washington as well. It is not as flash as the HI-NYC, but still one of the best in DC. And is also very popular, within walking distance of most of the popular attractions, a short walk to the train and not all that far from the Greyhound.

Lifey

5. Default

Once again thanks for the reply lifey.
    I will be sure to keep checking the hostels to see if a vacancy comes up I will also email them too.
    The location of the NY hostel looks really good.

Is there any advice on the money situation, is the stated amount of money above enough for what I've planned, obviously the more I take the better and more stuff I can do but I'm more worried running out of money for food and accomodation.

Thanks josh

Default Some examples

Quote Originally Posted by jtg91 View Post
    Is there any advice on the money situation, is the stated amount of money above enough for what I've planned, obviously the more I take the better and more stuff I can do but I'm more worried running out of money for food and accomodation.
    Have you checked out the Saving Money on Your Trip Forum? There is a lot of information in there on budgeting, and examples of how others have done it. It should give you some guidelines.

Lifey

7. Default

Just checked the forum you suggested and helped very much (i did see this before but very briefly and only saw posts about car costs, should be more thorough, sorry)

Accommodation
    your 62 day drip was very helpful, looking at how much you spent on motels (5 nights = $200) it seems that $1000 dollars for 14 nights seems reasonable but then looking at A lot of questions thread averaging at $70 dollars a night seems like it may not be enough. possibly budgeting $100 dollars a night better?

I have researched some hotels this is what I have found:
    New York = Hotel carter = $100 per night x 3 nights = $300
    Washington = Howard johnson express inn - $80 per night x 1 night = $80
    Myrtle beach - Paradise resort - $50 per night x 1 night = $50
    Savannah - Thunderbird inn - $100 per night x 2 nights = $200
    Orlando - econo lodge - $40 per night x 3 nights = $120
    Miami - Ocean spray hotel - $60 per night x 3 nights = $180
    Total = $930

All hotels found on greyhound website just by looking at location on map (want to be near the major attractions).

all seem reasonable prices but would it be cheaper to book in advance through the greyhound website or would turning up and paying there and then for a room be the cheaper option.

also does per night for the room mean per person or as stated per night? I cant seem to see it stating per person so hopefully not.

Food
    looking around the cost forum i couldn't find anything definite on food cost.
    Budgeting food at $100 per day for 2 people seems okay to me if I remember rightly I think that's what we spent in Orlando, we mainly stayed in dennies and friendlys the whole time (gotta love friendlys reeces ice cream sundae)
    looking here Western states it says food budget averaged at $53 per day so $100 dollars seems enough based on that.

Attraction and Amenities
    I suppose there is no advice anyone can really give me for this as the more you take the more you can do but again $100 per day seems reasonable and whatever not spent in some days will be carried over to the next (for ralph lauren shirts :)). I've done some research and there seems to be ways round not spending money for example the Staten island ferry instead of actually going to the statue of liberty island.

Once again any recommendations would be appreciated

Default The green bar tools

Glad you found good information in that forum.

All hotels found on greyhound website just by looking at location on map (want to be near the major attractions).
    Did you check out the hotels link on the green bar above? You will find that there are some good deals to be got there, if they are to your liking. You will find that the standard charge for hotel rooms is 2 persons. Since your days are pretty well set, for most of your trip, I would be booking ahead, especially in the larger urban centres.

As for my motel cost. Firstly that was a few years ago, and secondly, accommodation along the east coast will always be more expensive than where I was, mostly western Canada and Alaska.

Lifey

9. Default

thanks once again for the speedy reply.

I did a brief search using the hotel bar yesterday but the prices coming up seemed to be a bit high for Accommodation in New York (starting at $140) so I did not use it for any other cities but I will give it another go and see what i can find.

10. Default

Thought I would just post what I have found so far (in case useful for others) using trip advisor and expedia.

New York - Hotel Carter x 3 nights = $340 (great location, not the nicest hotel but cheap)
    Washington DC - Hotel Lombardy x 1 night (possibly 2) = $112 (good location nice hotel)
    Myrtle Beach - Breakers Resort North Tower x 1 night = $83 (heart of beach good ratings)
    Savannah - Thunderbird inn x 2 nights (possibly 1) = $218 (good location)
    Orlando - Econo Lodge x 3 nights = $152 (stayed here before loved it cheap + cheerfull)
    Miami - Viscay Hotel x 3 nights = $284 (on miami beach looks great)
    Total = $1189 plus one extra night somewhere
    Average $92 per night