1. Default Buffalo to Atlanta in august

Trying to plan a trip to Atlanta and need to break it up going down and coming home. I have 2 daughters 10 & 13 and would love to find a place of interest for them wherever we stop, but I can't do the whole trip in one session. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Default Breaking It Up

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, no one can do the nearly 900 mile drive from Buffalo to Atlanta in one session, at least not safely. That is a full two day drive at a minimum when you start adding in minimal stops for food, fuel and bathroom breaks as well as a few breaks for the girls (and the driver) to get out of the car and get some exercise and fresh air. The most direct route down is I-90 to Cleveland, I-271/I-71 to Cincinnati, and I-75 the rest of the way to Atlanta. As a general rule, we recommend that you stop every few hours, but as for sites that would be of interest to your girls, they would know far better than I. What you should do is get them a decent atlas or map, show them the route, and ask them what they'd like to see along the way. Some possibilities include the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, a riverboat cruise at Cincinnati, and Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.

The other way to break up a big round trip drive like this is to take a different route back so that you are constantly seeing new countryside, new roads, and new towns. An alternative to the route listed above might be I-85/I-77/I-79 up through Charlotte and Pittsburgh. That's only about 30 miles longer than the first route and could again be done in two steady days. Overnights should be around halfway on the two different routes to best break up the drive, and would be at approximately Cincinnati and Beckley, WV.

AZBuck

3. Default Thank you for your advice...will get the atlas out today!

Since I am the only driver, I will take your advice. I know my dad does it in one trip but I am not him. May do the Charlotte route to visit some friends.

Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-05-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed Unneeded/misformatted Quote

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganater View Post
    Since I am the only driver, I will take your advice. I know my dad does it in one trip but I am not him. May do the Charlotte route to visit some friends.

Thanks
    I just came across this post..please share what you decided to do along the routes. I am planning the same trip..from Buffalo to Atlanta..I'm also planning a couple of days in Savannah then back home. My kids love adventure and we'd love to know what great places we could take in along the way. Thanks!!