Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default La-vegas-san fran-la

Hi i am new to this forum was just looking for a bit of advice regarding my trip in late sept oct we fly into LA on the 29TH SEPT two nights in LA,then of to Vegas for 3 nights both booked,was then thinking of a night in bakersfield on route to SF for three nights,thats as far as i have looked was probably going to call in Monteray/Carmel would like to be in LA area 11th and 12th oct as we fly back to the uk on the 13th just dont know were to stay between Carmel and LA area any suggestions would be much appreciated could posss have another night in vegas and SF
    29TH LA booked
    30TH LA booked
    1ST LV booked
    2ND LV booked
    3RD LV booked ANY advice for the rest of the trip Many Thanks in advance

Default My favourite time to travel.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This is a much discussed topic on the forums and by searching around you will find a lot of ideas, to help get you started here are some of our favourites. I would definitely reconsider your routing from LV to SF and consider crossing Death valley on 190 and then North to Mono lake on 395 and then across the Sierra Nevada on the spectacular Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite NP, a true gem. To get the best out of this, I would recommend at least 2 overnight stops, possibly 3, although if 1 night is all you have it would still be possible with an overnight stop in Bishop, but I think you will regret not taking the time. You will be travelling through some incredible scenery at my favourite time of year in these parts.

Have a look around and as new questions arise, just ask.

Enjoy the planning !

3. Default La-lv-sf-la

Hi looking for some advice as i come over to the usa in two weeks time flying into LA
    2 nights booked in la then to LV 3 nights booked then over to SF 2 nights booked gona take two stopovers up to SF poss through death valley then poss yosemite i am looking for advice on where to stop around death valley then yosemite area,
    from SF we will be taking 3/4 days to go down the coast back to la ideas as to where to stop off would be appreciated many thanks in advance IAN

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-15-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Merged

The most affordable choices between DV and Yosemite are in Bishop, other options are in Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, and Lee Vining. The most affordable choices *IN* Yosemite are the tent cabins in Curry Village. Note that before you commit to Yosemite, you need to make sure Tioga Pass is open. It won't be closed for the season yet, but it MIGHT be temporarily closed if there's an early season snowstorm. If this happens, you can go south through Bakersfield and still see Yosemite if you want, through the western entrances.

Between Carmel and LA, taking the coast highway, there's lodging in San Simeon, Cambria, Cayucos, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Santa Maria, and Santa Barbara.

5. Default

Thanks for the reply looking on the map.
    las vegas -lone pine. stopover 223 miles
    lone pine - lee vining stopover 122 miles
    lee vining - sf via tioga pass 233 miles
    this looks easily doable on a map but what do you guys think and is it worth booking somewhere or is there plenty of hotel/motels around
    many thanks Ian

There will be plenty of choices, I wouldn't prebook so you can stay flexible.

Your plan really doesn't make sense if you want to spend any time inside Yosemite. The Yosemite valley is on the opposite side of the Sierras as Lee Vining, so right now, your short day of just 122 miles is the only section that doesn't include any National Parks. Meanwhile, from Lee Vining to SF is a drive you can certainly do in a day - probably about 6 hours - but that doesn't include time to sightsee along Tioga Pass, and even more importantly, that doesn't include actually driving into the Yosemite Valley and seeing the heart of the park.

You would be much better served stopping once in Lone Pine or that area, and then spending your second night either inside Yosemite, or just outside the park in a town like Mariposa, or Oakhurst.

8. Default

Hi thanks for that, my itin was just trying to stretch the drive but also would like to see things on route so it can and will probably change using the advice given ,as i can only put down my ideas that i see on the map, people like yourselve have actually done these roads and know whats where and what to see i am being guided by you many thanks for that. so would a better route be:

vegas-lone pine
    lone pine - mariposa
    mariposa - sf

to me this looks like i get to see death valley and yosemite np on route to sf unless you know different thanks ian
    Last edited by heliflyer61; 09-16-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added info

That looks a lot better - and Bishop instead of Lone Pine may be even better. Be flexible, you have several choices between Death Valley and Yosemite for an overnight stop. As I said, Bishop has the best selection and prices.

There isn't a heck of a lot to see between Mariposa and San Francisco, and it's an easy 1/2 day drive. If you want to see more of Yosemite on the 3rd day before heading to SF, I'd stay in the park or closer to it. I had no problem getting a room at 7pm early last October in the Cedar Lodge in El Portal - but it was $110 with tax for 2 people. I was going to stay in Curry Village, but it was pouring rain.

Yes, that would work, although you could get a little further to the Bishop area for night 1 as an option. If your budget can manage staying in Yosemite it would be a better option as it would be easier to sight see before heading on to SF next day.