Default Sydney to Melbourne, Australia

We often visit both cities on business (from Auckland) and usually fly between. A bit of a waste of an opportunity.
    We could/should schedule with a weekend in between and travel down the coast, or vice versa.
    Any recommendations? Would two days be enough, starting Friday afternoon?
    OR inland via Canberra.
    Is August weather too inclement?
    Don

Default Guess I can help you there.

Hi Don,

I agree you miss a great opportunity flying between the two metropolises. It is not more than a month ago that I did the trip, there and back. Going via the Hume Highway, it is about a 10 hour drive, with normal stops. Add extra for sightseeing.

However, if you leave Friday afternoon, and travel to Canberra, you could spend the night there, and next day spend some time at the War Memorial, Parliament House, etc. You could then head back to the highway and head south. Be sure to stop at the Dog on the Tuckerbox, just north or Gundagai. Gundagai is a lovely little town, and well worth a stop.

Maybe spend the night at Holbrook and check out the Submarine before heading down to Albury-Wodonga. The highway now bypasses them. Albury is a nice place, and if you have an interest in aeroplanes, check out the Uiver memorial near the Albury Airport.

The Hume through Victoria bypasses all towns and takes you straight into Melbourne. But if you want to see some of the history, stop at Glenrowan - Ned Kelly Country; Benalla - Rose Gardens, though I guess now, there won't be any flowers and Euroa - an old small country town.

As to the weather... well, I suggest you get down and say a few before you leave. LOL Canberra will be cold, it always is.

The coastal route would be two solid days driving with little or no time to sightsee. It will be cold this time of year, but when you have more than just a couple of days, a trip well worth doing.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

Gidday Lifey.

Ah yes, the dog on the tuckerbox. I remember by Grandmother talking about the poem (she was from West Kentish/Promised Land, Tasmania)
    "As I came down Talbingo Hill
    I heard a maiden cry,
    ‘ There goes old Bill the Bullocky –
    He’s bound for Gundagai." etc

The fact that my great uncle Bob was a “bullocky” in Tasmania and later in New Zealand probably made this story mean a lot to her.
    I was not aware of the memorial, so that is a “must do”

A submarine inland? A bit like the Noah’s Arc story?

What about the Murray? Eg Echuca
    After the Great Ocean Road, we drove from Adelaide up the Murray to Mildura in 2002(?) In those days we think it was just about running backwards with the drought and water draw off but after the last years rains should be impressive.

We had been thinking Lakes Entrance and Bermagui, but maybe in warmer times.
    Mind you, we “did” the Great Ocean Road in winter, and enjoyed it.

Regards, Don

Default Oh! the choices!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    What about the Murray? Eg Echuca
    Echuca would be much too far out of your way. Get off the highway in Albury, and spend some time exploring the Murray at that point. And don't forget the Hume Wier. It should be pretty full, though the flow of the snowmelt will not start till spring. There is much to see of the Murray at Albury / Wodonga, and if you want to do a bit of a side trip, follow it to the Howlong NSW or Rutherglen Vic area, and then rejoin the highway at Chiltern. Get a good map to see the minor roads which will follow the river.

Rutherglen and surrounds is a wine growing region with dozens of boutique wineries, cheese factories and bakeries. If you are into that, it is definitely worthwhile.

Another side trip you can take from Wodonga is to Tallangatta. A 'historic' town which was relocated when the Hume Wier was built. Some of the buildings which were not relocated were visible during the drought, when the lake gave up so many of its secrets.

Or you could turn south in Wodonga, head towards Yackandandah - a small town full of gold rush and bushranger history - and Beechworth - full of history and a bakery worth the detour. You can rejoin the hwy at Wangaratta.

But, you are doing this over the weekend, so are going to have to be selective in what you choose. There's no way you can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    We had been thinking Lakes Entrance and Bermagui, but maybe in warmer times. Mind you, we “did” the Great Ocean Road in winter, and enjoyed it.
    Besides the time of year, you will not have time to enjoy much of what the ocean route - Princess Highway - has to offer. Do it when you have three or four days, and can really enjoy it - Royal National Park (the world's second oldest NP), collieries, seaside hamlets, whale watching, subtropical rainforests, the Lakes and Wilson's Promintory, to name just a few.

Lifey

Thanks for all those options. Exactly what I wanted.
    I will be off line for a few days at a conference.
    I will digest your reply before I ask any more questions.

Don

6. Default

During august the weather in Sydney would be between 9-17 Celsius. The weather in Melbourne would also be around 6-15. So I suggest that you take some warm clothes. But won’t be harsh but it would be cold.

Default Are you sure??

The weather in Melbourne would also be around 6-15.
    Not sure which part of Melbourne you are in, but it is a long time since we have, and until we will again see, 15C this year!

Lifey who is freezing in Melbourne

Lifey who is freezing in Melbourne[/QUOTE]

Yes, we are also familiar with your 4 seasons in one day.
    We are having quite an uncomfortably wet and cold winter in Auckland too.
    After our winter drive of the Great Ocean Road, we are ready for any weather you can throw at us.
    However. Looks as though our trip will be delayed to Oct/Nov so looks like a Spring drive.
    Probably pass through Woolongong where I have a niece.
    Regards, Don

Default Well in that case....

... may I make some suggestions for you to choose from.

On leaving Sydney, make sure you drive through the Royal NP, the second oldest NP in the world. Only Yellowstone is older. Sir Bertram Stevens Drive will take you through most of the park. But as with all NP, there will be many places you will want to stop... and take photos, etc. Try to follow the coast road, rather than the expressway to Bulli Pass - a very steep decent which drops down to the coast at Thirroul. This will take you along the coast into Wollongong. (I guess you have probably already checked all this out on your maps.)

The road then pretty well hugs the coast through Port Kembla and Shellharbour. Blow Hole and Little Blow Hole Park at Kiama. Seven Mile Beach NP at Shoalhaven. The road then goes inland to Ulladulla. Several Nature Reserves and State Forest before you get to Ulladulla where the road gets back to the coast. Beyond Bateman's Bay is mostly away from the coast till you get well into Victoria.

As an alternative, and if you still want to see Canberra, you could take the Kings Highway (52) from Bateman's Bay to Canberra. This is a magnificent drive through the Great Dividing Range. Leave Canberra, on the Monaro Highway (23) to Cann River, through or near Namadgi NP, South East Forest NP, Coopracambra NP, and near Cann River Lind NP, Alfred NP and the stunningly beautiful beach Croajinalong NP. There are also many other State and Coastal Parks and Reserves before you get to Lakes Entrance.

A side trip at Nowa Nowa will take you to the beautiful Buchan Caves. In Bairnsdale St Mary's Cathedral is among the main tourist attractions. At Sale you can choose to stay on the Princes Highway (1) and head to Melbourne through Traralgon, Latrobe Valley (coal fired power stations), Morwell, Moe (Baw Baw NP) and Warragul.

Or you could head down the South Gippsland Highway (A440) which will give you access to the coast at various points. Port Welshpool is where some of the offshore oil and gas rigs have their land bases. Turn off at Foster for Wilson's Promontory (I don't think you need a permit for day visits, but if it is a weekend, the roads will be very busy). At Leongatha turn onto the Bass Highway (460) for Philip Island through Wonthaggi (where the controversial desalination is being built). Philip Island is where you have the (famous, and to my way of thinking, much overrated) Penguin Parade and on the Nobbies, Fur Seal colonies. You can also visit French Island from there.

I hope you have at least a few more than just two days, for that trip. Hope this gives you something to choose from.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    ... may I make some suggestions for you to choose from.

I hope you have at least a few more than just two days, for that trip. Hope this gives you something to choose from.

Lifey
    That is a lot of data to digest. Thank you
    OK, so that is obviously more than one trip. We "did" Phillip Island many years ago. Could not see any penguins for about 10 minutes....... until the Japanese tourists up front had taken their photos and got back on their coach. They had been there all of 15 minutes!
    There is so much to see and do...we were on the Mornington Peninsular a couple of years ago and one week was not sufficient even in so small an area.
    Closer to the time we will get the maps out and see what we can fit in....and bounce some more ideas off you.
    Cheers, Don