1. Default San Fran to Las Vegas

Hi all,

Apologies for what looks like quite a common trip! Three of my friends and I are planning a trip from San Fran to Vegas between 1 - 10 October. Our high level schedule is:

1 - 3 October (2 nights): In San Fran
    3 - 6 October (3 nights): Drive from San Fran to Los Angeles
    6 - 7 October (1 night): Night in Los Angeles
    7 - 10 October(3 nights): Las Vegas

I would appreciate any advice on the best places to spend our three nights between San Fran and Los Angeles?

Melbourne, Australia

Default We need to know a little more about the four of you.

Hi and Welcome to the RTA Forums.

Without knowing anything about you, other than that there are four of you, it is hard to say. We need to know a little about your interests and what you all want to get out of this roadtrip. Why are you taking three days to drive from SF to LA?

With a little more info, I am sure that suggestions will come your way, but as things stand, no one can give you any meaningful suggestions.

3. Default

Yep I kind of realised after hitting 'post'. You might be able to tell from my grammar that I am from the UK, all 4 of us are, ages ranging between 26-32.

We are looking for places that would lend to the habits of guys at our age. We are hiring two cars, I would like to stress that we aren't boy racers, we'd like a good driving road with good scenery. During our night stops we would like the towns/cities to have some level of nightlife in the form of bars, good food? Some of my colleagues have suggested Santa Barbara, Santa Monica?

Tucson, AZ

Default The Clear Winner

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In terms of a great driving road, good nightlife, and spectacular scenery, is to drive the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The road itself hugs the coast on a narrow strip between the shoreline to the west and some low mountains to the east and so is replete with curves, bridges and lay-bys to view the various sea life rookeries as well as forested hiking trails, and even a unique waterfall into the ocean at Julia Pfeiffer State Park. For nightlife en route, your best bets are Monterey (a nearby Marine base ensure lots of bars and bands), Carmel (a bit more upscale), San Luis Obispo (fair sized city) and/or Pismo Beach (central to a number of well frequented shore spots), and finally Santa Barbara. By the time you reach Malibu and Santa Monica, you're essentially in the L.A. area anyway.