Default Michigan to Maine and home via Niagra Falls

We are planning to take a trip first week in august. Want to go from Jackson, Michigan to the Maine coast and then home with a stop in Niagra Falls. Any ideas or suggestions?

Default More info please

Hi Cheryl, and Welcome to the RTA Forums.

Before anyone can give you any meaningful suggestions we will need a bit more information. How long do you have for this trip? and besides Niagara, what are your interest? what do you wish to achieve by taking this trip? If you could answer some of those questions, we may be able to post some suggestions which fit in with your plans.

Lifey

Myself and hubby, both in our late 50's. We like to drive and see scenic sites. Don't really seem to stay long in one place. I love the beach. He likes interesting scenery. Our trip will be about 8 days long. Might travel approx 500 miles per day. He wants to go to Bath Harbor. I have a friend in Portland we might stop and see. I have never been to Maine. I like covered bridges. We have a Mustang that we will be taking for the trip. Like to keep the costs down. I love to stay on the beach at night when we can afford it. Nothing fancy and hubby doen't like to plan far ahead. Just drive until we see somthing we like. Does not like to have to be anywhere on a certain day or time. Free like the wind,,,he says. Hmmm....

Default Free like the wind!

Cheryl, other than Niagara Falls and Boston, my familiarity with that corner of the US is fairly limited. But I am sure someone with more know how will be along soon, to guide you on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl E View Post
    ... hubby doen't like to plan far ahead. Just drive until we see somthing we like. Does not like to have to be anywhere on a certain day or time. Free like the wind,,,he says. Hmmm....
    Free like the wind... that's the way I like to travel. Rarely do I plan a final destination for the day. I mean, you never know what you might see along the way, which holds your interest. And never do I book anything ahead.

Lifey

Default Clarifications and Hints

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off, you should be fine in traveling in August without reservations. Other than around major national parks, or on holiday weekends, the chances of seeing a string of No Vacancy signs is rather small these days. However, you can usually save a fair bit by planning ahead and doing your room shopping before you get to any night's destination.

I think you mean Bar Harbor, not Bath harbor. While Bath, ME is a port and has a harbor, it is known for shipbuilding not scenery. Bar Harbor, on the other hand, is the gateway to Acadia National Park and one place where you should definitely think ahead about lodging.

As a basic plan, you might want to look at an eastbound drive through Niagara Falls, along the Erie Canal using local roads, taking the Mohawk Trail through Massachusetts and then up US-1 following the Maine coast. Some places with swimable beaches on your drive 'down east' would include York, Ogunquit, and Old Orchard Beach. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of covered bridges in the entire state of Maine, but there are a few along the Mohawk Trail, including the Bissell Bridge in Charlemont.

For something entirely different on your return trip, assuming you will have your passports on hand for crossing from Detroit/Sarnia to Niagara Falls, would be to head up to Québec and experience another culture. ME-3/US-1A/US-2/US-201/QB-173/QB-73 is a quite scenic and rural route up to the capital of French Canada. From there you would drive up through the historic St. Lawrence Valley to Montréal and the Thousand Islands region before skirting the north shore of lake Ontario to Toronto and back home.

AZBuck