1. Default 10 night round trip from Las Vegas

I am flying into and out of Las Vegas and planning a road trip of 11 days. I have been to several of the major National Parks in the SW before and want to do some walking and photography. This is my current plan:

Las Vegas - Sedona AZ (2 nights) - Page AZ (2 nights) - Moab UT (2 nights) - Torrey UT (2 nights) - Bryce Canyon (1 night) - Las Vegas.

I intend to miss Grand Canyon this time but will visit Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the trip is paced OK and will be an enjoyable one. Also, any suggestions as to things to see on the way (outside the obvious major attractions) would be welcomed.

thanks

2. Default

Hi aquila,

Your trip is very do able. From Page, AZ to Moab, Utah you will pass right by Monument Valley Tribal Park. You will recognize it right away from movies and pictures. It's well worth some time to stop and visit this park.

I love Lake Powell and since you have a full day here I'd recommend either a boat trip to Rainbow Bridge or a the 1/2 day Float Trip on the Colorado River. The short hike to Horseshoe Bend and the tour of the Upper Antelope Slot Canyon can be done on the day you arrive.

It's to bad you only have one full day for Moab, Utah because there is so much to see in this area. It's going to be hard to do both Arches and Canyonlands in one day. Maybe on the day you leave for Torrey you can spend more time in the area. The scenic drive east of town on Hwy 128 that follows the Colorado River and Canyon to Fisher Towers is a great drive. Also the shorter Potash Road, Hwy 279 north west of town where you can find petroglyphs along the canyon walls.

From Torrey, Utah to Bryce Canyon make sure you take scenic Hwy 12. The drive is a destination by itself!

You already probably know that the National Park Pass for $80 will save you money on park entrance fees.

Utahtea

Default Wonderful !!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I agree, you have a nice plan and a wonderful trip to look forward too !

I am not sure if you have a particular reason for spending 2 nights in Torrey, but I wonder if you have considered 1 night Torrey, 1 Bryce canyon and 1 in Zion NP ? If you have been to Zion another consideration would be to spend another night in Moab and have two full days, one for Arches and one for Canyonlands.

You already probably know that the National Park Pass for $80 will save you money on park entrance fees.
    If you are sticking to the original 3 NP's you mention I doubt it will save you money, but it is an annual pass and if you will get the chance to visit other parks over the next 12 months, well worth it if you are. Adding Canyonlands and/or Zion to your list and you will tip the scales in your favour of a NP pass.

At the end of the 'Island of the sky' section of Canyonlands there are some wonderful unspoilt views from 'Grandview point' at the end of the mesa, but walk from the parking lot to the very end of the trail. On the way when driving down look out for the 'Shafer trail' viewpoint and the 'Mesa Arch' stop. A short walk from the parking lot you get some great views through the arch to 'Washer woman' rock. Another option is staying on 313 to 'Dead Horse state park.'

At Antelope canyon [if that is your intention while in Page] book the photography tour ! They go when the light is best, you are not rushed and you are given priority to capture images without crowds in the way.

Any other specific questions just ask. If not have a great trip and I really hope we will get to see some of your images and possibly a trip report.

4. Default I stand corrected!

Utahtea: You already probably know that the National Park Pass for $80 will save you money on park entrance fees.
    Southwest Dave: If you are sticking to the original 3 NP's you mention I doubt it will save you money, but it is an annual pass and if you will get the chance to visit other parks over the next 12 months, well worth it if you are. Adding Canyonlands and/or Zion to your list and you will tip the scales in your favour of a NP pass.
    Southwest Dave is right, I miss calculated!

Bryce $25
    Arches $10
    Capitol Reef $7
    Glen Canyon National Recreational Area $15

but if you added Canyonlands and Zion then it would be worth it. :)

Utahtea