Default wanted to know if it was possible to do this American West loop in less than a week

my friends and I are planning a road trip, we need to get to Portland in less than a week.

We are leaving on July 5th, 2011 and need to get there by July 11th or 12th (latest)

Our plan was

Henderson,NV - we live here
    Flagstaff, AZ - 1 day
    Roswell, NM - 1 day
    Albuquerque, NM - 1 day
    Denver, CO- 1 day
    Salt Lake City, UT- 1 day
    Boise, Idaho- 1 day
    Portalnd, OR- end

after a few days we are planning the trip back this way

Portland, Oregon - start
    Sacramento, CA - 1 day
    Anaheim, CA - 1 day
    Henderson- end

we need to be back by the July 20th because we are flying to Hawai'i.

do you think this trip is doable...

just wanted to know if the first trip seemed possible...

all the stops we are making is so that we don't have to be driving all the time..we plan to stay in the cities listed to spend the night (hotel or motel)

My opinion (and you'll get differing ones here) is that you're doing a lot of driving on the loop TO Portland and probably won't have all that much time for sight-seeing. Then the trip back is probably going to be three very full days of driving. (I'm assuming there's a layover in Sacto and one in Anaheim?)

In the Henderson > Portland scenario, there are two long-haul days that stand out. The first is Flagstaff > Roswell, which is about 490 mi via I-40 and US 60 (trying not to backtrack through Albuquerque). Unless you have a layover day at Roswell, you'll have a race through whatever it is you are trying to see. (I'm guessing it may have something to do with WWII?) The other day is Boise to Portland.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 07-02-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: punctuation fix

Default Doable.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

Your trip is certainly doable as you have laid it out, but you are going to be driving every day and for quite a while on some of those days. You don't say what goals, if any, you have or what your interests are, but if it's what suits you then go for it.

Thank you for responding guys =)

Well we wanted to fit in Grand Canyon, Four Corners, and Carlsbad Caverns..but other than that we we just wanted to drive =) we've never been to any other state, but California and Nevada (we are all from Hawai'i) so we just figured that it would be nice to see them--do you think that we could add like one sight seeing place in each city (like museums, art galleries, historic sites, etc. oh and I think we wanted to white water raft in Utah) one of my friends wants to see the UFO center in Roswell, so that is why we added it and someone else suggested Carlsbad Caverns...

This is really our first time doing a road trip, so I don't know what to expect..I guess we will be stopping in each place to see what's around there, but other than that the most important part is being in Portland on the 11th or 12th...

Do you think that driving for only a maximum of 9 hours a day is too little or should I plan for more driving? We wanted to book the hotel rooms for those cities and I really don't mind driving any time, but I know that we need rest..

Our first plan was to just to go along PCH, but my friends and I always go through California and wanted something new and since we all got the time we figured to just do a loop..We haven't really finalized anything yet, but most of the places were just input by my friends..

oh and were college students (18-23) - this will be a no drinking, no clubbing trip because we will be doing that in Portalnd and maybe Seattle =)

what would be great routes to take?

I am not sure which route to take from Flagstaff, AZ > Roswell, NM

I think on our Albuquerque, NM day we might go to four corners before heading to Denver, CO..what is the best route for that..

I know I can go on google maps, but would love to hear opinions. Also, are the times on google maps accurate or should I add 1 extra hour to those times?

*sorry for all the questions...half my group is confident and the other half isn't..I don't mind driving, but I guess we need the whole group to have confidence on this trip..we don't any debbie downers or I told you so folks on the trip =)

We get that we might see things we want to see, but if we were to sight see during the day in those cities and sleep at night...it is still doable right?

Default A lot to achieve.

Why not have a good look around the forums and road trip planning pages with a good map to hand. You really are not allowing yourselves much time for sight seeing with quality time at the places you are listing. Have you considered going up into Utah from Grand canyon and visiting places like Zion and Bryce canyon. I think adding Roswell and Denver [possibly Albu] is biting of more than you can chew if you want time out of the car to enjoy the sights.

Google times are optimistic and you should allow at least 20% more time to reflect 'real world' driving times.

8. Default

Henderson,NV - we live here
    Flagstaff, AZ - 1 day
    If you want to see the Grand Canyon, then this is do-able on the first day. At Williams take Hwy 64 north to the Grand Canyon. Make sure to spend time at the over looks Grand Canyon Village and if time allows ride the free shuttle buses towards Hermit Rest. Exit the park driving along Hwy 64 going to Cameron, AZ and check out some of the over looks before you exit the park.

If you still have time, you might check out Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater on the Sunset Crater - Wupatki Loop road.

Roswell, NM - 1 day....one of my friends wants to see the UFO center in Roswell, so that is why we added it and someone else suggested Carlsbad Caverns...
    Flagstaff to Roswell, NM is 520 miles so that's going to eat up your day and there are many great places to stop along the way.

Albuquerque, NM - 1 day
    If you plan on squeezing in Carlsbad Caverns on this day, it's going to be a long day.

Denver, CO- 1 day
    Albuquerque to Denver with a stop at 4 corners is 665 miles and at the very least 11 hours of driving with out stops. I would either drop Denver or drop 4 corners.

Salt Lake City, UT- 1 day
    Denver to Salt Lake City is almost 600 miles, you won't have time for a white water trip.

If you cut Denver and go from Albuquerque driving by 4 Corners, add Monument Valley and spend the night in Moab instead of Denver, you might have time for the white water raft trip before driving to Salt Lake City. I guess you need to decide what is more important. To do this route, go north on I-25 and then take Hwy 550 to Farmington, NM, Hwy 64 to Teec Nos Pos, east on Hwy 160 to 4 Corners, then drive west on Hwy 160 to Kayenta, AZ, take Hwy 163 past Gouldings and Monument Valley and Hwy 191 up to Moab, Utah. There is white water rafting on the Colorado River in Moab.

I think you have really under estimated the time it will take to drive from city to city and also add site seeing.

Utahtea
    Last edited by Utahtea; 07-02-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added link