Default 10 cents a gallon discount on gas at Walmart

Click me USA Today article

Just in time for the Fourth of July driving weekend, Walmart is rolling back prices -- on gasoline. The giant retailer is offering 10 cents off a gallon at Walmart and Murphy USA stations when purchases are made with a reloadable Walmart gift card, MoneyCard or a Walmart credit card.

I saw that too - it is valid through the end of September.

Of course, even before this a promotion, Walmart already gave a discount for using one of their own payment methods - it is just not as large. (I think 3 cents.)

The deal is also only valid in the following states:
    Arkansas
    Alabama*
    Florida*
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Virginia

Although, a lot of the other states simply don't have Walmart Gas Stations.

I can vouch for "no gas" at Wal-Mart in most of the stores in San Diego County. Our town's Wal-Mart has been in a major fight with our city just trying to expand to a modified "Super" Wal-Mart, for more than 2 years.

A lot of the Wal-Marts in Missouri have gasoline. That would be a nice discount if you don't mind getting one of the cards to buy your gas.

Safeway stores have a promotion, that you can buy certain amounts of groceries and get a card offering you 10c a gallon off gasoline. I believe Fry's Groceries (Arizona) have the same type of promotion going on. (I don't shop much at Vons, which is owned by Safeway, but my mom shops at Fry's and gets those cards.)

Of course there's the Frequent Fueler cards from Flying J/Pilot. I believe they are offering 3c off per gallon. All you have to do is sign up for one of these - no special gift or credit card needed, or purchasing groceries (though we all have to eat).

Donna

Donna, the El Cajon Walmart has been upgraded to a Supercenter.

Getting a card is no big deal - all you have to do is get a gift card in the store and preload it with however much you want - and it can be reloaded in the store at any time. That's what I do - I'm in the store shopping anyway, and when I know I need gas I have the balance checked and add what I think I need right at the register as part of the bill.

Michael is correct, it's been 3 cents all along.

Has anyone seen gas at Walmart that's *not* Murphy? They are based in Arkansas and are owned by Walmart.

I've never seen a non-murphy Walmart gas station. I've never understood why either, especially since Sam Club gas stations don't have a separate name.

The Grocery Store gas cards are becoming very popular. Kroger (Which owns Fry's in Arizona, and Ralph's in California) is one of the most common, especially because they frequently have their own gas stations and they're one of the largest grocery chains in the country. Of the 4 or 5 major grocery chains in my area, at least 3 if not 4 offer some sort of gas discount program based on either buying certain products or spending a certain amount of money.