Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default California To Maryland.

Hello, I am new to the forums so I tried to search before actually posting but, couldn't find what I was looking for.

I live in Antioch, CA and I used to live in Lutherville, MD. I'm currently in the process of moving back to MD but, I wasn't sure about how to go about it. Google maps apparently says I can get from my current location to my mothers house in one day and 19 hours. Travel math apparently says I can get from My current location to MD in a day and four hours. I find it unrealistic so I wanted a decent answer.

Also, I would like to know the fastest highway to MD, because I am currently thinking I-80.

Another thing, I wanted to know if it would be wiser to drive during the day or night, or does it depend on the interstate road?

Last question: Would it be smart to take toll routes and if so, what are the usual prices crossing tolls or is there a way to dodge tolls.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the RTA forum!
    Google maps apparently says I can get from my current location to my mothers house in one day and 19 hours. Travel math apparently says I can get from My current location to MD in a day and four hours.
    Travel math? You are right that neither estimate is realistic unless you are a computer that can drive non stop with out needed food, fuel, or sleep. Although the 1 days, 4 hour estimate is quite the calculation - since it's a 2800 mile trip, doing it in 28 hours would mean you'd be traveling at an average speed of 100 mph! You'd struggle to complete the trip in that time using a Cessna!

Realistically, you can travel 500 to 600 miles a day, which puts this at a solid 5 day trip. Driving during daylight hours is far wiser, as it is when you are best able to see the road and when your body will be at its most alert - plus you might actually enjoy the scenery!

I-80 would be your fastest route for the most part. That would mean sigificant tolls as you get to Chicago and east, however, you could avoid those by getting off I-80 at Davenport, Iowa, and taking I-74 and I-70 to Pennsylvania and then I-79 and I-68 across Maryland.

Note: Typically another option would be (and one that is likely suggested as an alternate by Google) to take I-29 south from near Omaha and pick up I-70 near Kansas City. However, Flooding will have that section of I-29 closed for the next few months.

hi!! I did the CA to NYC trip a few times. I80 has been the fastest route. Not many tolls to speak of. That is a popular move on the coasts and in large cities. I normally average a rate of 50mph a day. that math includes pit stops. i.e. driving at 65 or 80 for ten hours a day for a week... after stopping for feul etc you will average roughly 500 miles a day. I always assume distance at the rate of 50mph in the case of trips greater than a few hundred miles.

google does not tally up stops and sleeping etc.. i guess you figured that out though lol

The RTA map thingy gave me the route of I-80 from Southern California to central NJ, too. However, we're using I-40, I-81, and I-80 due to a need to stop in Phoenix first, and we're in the southern area of the state (and it sounds like you're in the Bay Area?).

We did one trip where we drove at night and slept during the day. My husband was working that schedule, and we found it easier not to make his body clock change. However, I wasn't much help in driving because my body wanted to sleep. So I'd say do days.

If you have to go through cities (and 80 would take you through some), and you decide to stay in a bigger city, stay on the east side of the city (since you're going east). That way you don't have to fight the traffic in the morning.

We're going to the east coast in 6 days, 5 nights ... planned stops are in the areas of Phoenix, Santa Rosa NM, east end of Oklahoma, center of Tennessee and Staunton VA are planned stops. Of the 6 days, the first and last are around 375 miles each, the other 4 are right around 600. Planning more than 600 miles in a day for several days running is good advice....it can be exhausting, though. You fall asleep at night with white stripes and yellow lines in your dreams...

Donna

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I-80 would be your fastest route for the most part. That would mean sigificant tolls as you get to Chicago and east, however, you could avoid those by getting off I-80 at Davenport, Iowa, and taking I-74 and I-70 to Pennsylvania and then I-79 and I-68 across Maryland.

Note: Typically another option would be (and one that is likely suggested as an alternate by Google) to take I-29 south from near Omaha and pick up I-70 near Kansas City. However, Flooding will have that section of I-29 closed for the next few months.
    Midwest Michael I appreciate the feedback and the detail of it all. I had to make sure, I only seen cross country once when I was 13 on my way to MD.

Well, I do like the idea of daylight driving, but my problem is traffic. I don't particularly want to deal with all of it if I can avoid which is why I'm considering night driving.

It sucks that there's flooding, especially since I'm trying to get this done asap! =(
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-30-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Trimmed Length of Quote

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    You fall asleep at night with white stripes and yellow lines in your dreams...
    Surely there is more to attract you along the way, especially with two of you, you won't be watching the road that much.

Even the two or three times when I did 600+, there was still lots to observe and distract me from the 'white stripes and yellow lines'.

Lifey

Default Don't even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkzen007 View Post
    I don't particularly want to deal with all of it if I can avoid which is why I'm considering night driving. (
    If you are not regularly awake at night, and your body is not used to being active during normal sleeping hours, then don't even attempt it. You may find that you will be dealing with more than traffic, and it could end up being a trip you will never forget...

For all the wrong reasons!

Lifey

Well, I do like the idea of daylight driving, but my problem is traffic. I don't particularly want to deal with all of it if I can avoid which is why I'm considering night driving.
    There really are very few places along the route where you'd run into traffic. Your Largest Cities would be Salt Lake City, Omaha, Indianapolis, and Columbus. Even if you did approach a city at a rush hour time - that can be an excellent time to simply take a short break and get a meal.

Even if over the course of the entire trip, traffic added a full hour to your trip, it could likely save you time because if you are traveling at night, you'll have to stop more frequently because night driving is more tiring and challenging.

The Flooding really shouldn't have any significant impact on your trip. I-80 itself is completely open, and the route via I-74 is actually shorter than going via I-29 (plus it avoids the potential traffic spots of KC and St. Louis.). The only impact you'll likely see is that there could be some increased traffic problems around Omaha, as people use I-80 as a detour because other routes (like the I-680 bypass) are closed.

I should also mention that another problem with night driving is finding a place to sleep!

Most motels require check out in late morning, and don't allow check in until mid-afternoon.

So if you are planning to get off the road at dawn, you will only get a few hours of rest before you are kicked out or have to pay for a second night.

Via I-80/I-74/I-70/I-79/I-68/I-70 you have a 5 day trip, driving about 10 hours a day including gas, bathroom, and lunch stops. Suggested overnights:

Wendover UT
    Cheyenne WY
    Des Moines IA
    Richmond IN

You won't be hitting any major metros in rush hour except Des Moines, which is no big deal at all, and of course, Baltimore - but you will be home! Get up early every morning like you would for a normal work day, get on the road by 8, and you will be off the road each day in time for dinner. Check into a hotel and get a restaurant recommendation from the front desk.