1. Default Driving from San Fran to Yosemite to Death Vally to Las Vegas!

Hi,

At the end of July we are driving from San Fran to Yosemite (staying 2 nights in Curry Village) through Death Valley (staying 1 night in Stovepipe Wells) and on to Las Vegas (dropping car off at the airport) and would love some advice on the best route to take and journey times. I have no experience of driving in California, I am from a very small Island with no freeways and a speed limit of 40 miles (!) so am a little bit apprehensive about the journey! Any tips would be very gratefully received!

Thanks a million for your help,

Kate : )

Default Very popular.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

That's a nice trip plan you have and you will be in for some wonderful scenic drives. Allow up to 5 hours from SF depending on where you are starting from and traffic. If you exit over Bay bridge [I80 ] to I580/205/5 to Manteca and then take CA120 into Yosemite. From Yosemite exit over the Tioga pass [CA120] to US395 and head South to Lone Pine and then CA136/190 to Stovepipe Wells. Continue on 190 to DV junction and then take State line/Ash Meadows /Bell Vista Rd to Pahrump and 160 to Vegas. From Yosemite to Vegas take your time and enjoy the views and sight seeing opportunity's, you won't want to rush. Give yourself the day to enjoy Tioga pass and stops to Stovepipe wells and the next day to explore DV.

Have fun !

Default Easy does it

Quote Originally Posted by katokelly View Post
    I have no experience of driving in California, I am from a very small Island with no freeways and a speed limit of 40 miles (!) so am a little bit apprehensive about the journey! Any tips would be very gratefully received!
    Hi Kate, I know how you feel, but don't let it worry you too much. Until you are confident at driving at the breakneck speeds you'll see around you, just stay in the right lane on the interstates keeping a steady pace. Others will pass you. And when in doubt, take the next exit, find somewhere to park legally, then check your maps.

Quite soon you will have the confidence to 'go with the flow'. I like setting the cruise control at the speed at which I feel comfortable, and just sticking to the right (slow) lane. But be aware, some freeways do have minimum speed limits.

And if the interstates intimidate you, use the old highways. A bit slower, mostly more scenic and much less nerve wrecking.

Lifey

4. Default Mind at rest!

Thanks very much guys, you have really put my mind at rest. *The directions look pretty straightforward! *We will be up and out early on the drive from SF to Yosemite. *We will be driving from Death Valley to Las Vegas on a Friday and was planning to get up early and get to Vegas as quick a possible to avoid any traffic/delays. *Do you think we could allow a bit of time to drive a bit more relaxed though DV to Vegas? *What is the latest time we would want to arrive in Vegas to avoid any Friday rush?!

Sorry - just one more question sorry! *Is there a good map that you would reccomend or website that we could plot and print off? *I guess sat nav isn't going to work the whole time!

Thanks a million,

Kate

The Sat Nav should work fine, but only use it as a back up tool and use paper maps to stay in charge of exactly where it is you want to go. If you click on the 'Shop' link in the green tool bar you will be able to navigate your way to 'maps'. You should find choices at your local bookstore [or to order] or shops/gas stations when in SF. For more detailed maps of the parks you should find map pages to print off on the NPS Websites. Just search 'Park name' and 'Map' into your search engine. Of course you can also click on the Map centre above and create routes and find a number of possible attractions to print off.

I would expect weekend traffic to Vegas to be busy anyway and continue to build through the day, [although someone might be able to be more specific] but I wouldn't let that stop you relaxing and enjoying Death valley. Get there when you get there and enjoy the day.