Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just some comments along the way

My wife and I just returned from a four week roadtrip from north carolina to the pacific northwest down the PCH to San Francisco, across about 1/3 of the Lincoln Highway, and then home.
    For the most part, the scenery was beautiful-including the albino redwoods. Yet part of it was totally sad-the flooding along the mississippi, missouri, and snake (and now the Souri). Towns all along the rivers are devestated..
    The "Going to the Sun" road across Glacier National Park is open only about 15 miles on both ends. They are not sure it will even open this year. On May 1st, there was 300 feet of snow across Logan Pass. On June 1st 80 feet of snow and they do not know how much road damage was done.
    {Something strange at the western entrance-A Canadian Welcome Center-not in the park but close by}

there was 300 feet of snow across Logan Pass. On June 1st 80 feet of snow
    FEET?????? You sure you don't mean inches?

Default Perhaps inches?

Just a bit to the south, and a over 5,000' higher than Logan Pass' posted 6,646' elevation, the top of Snowbird Ski Resort in the Wasatch Range near Salt Lake City, UT had recorded 708 inches of snow for the 2010-2011 winter as of the Friday before Memorial Day. Another 12" were recorded that Saturday, and my friend skied Snowbird on Sunday. They then anticipated remaining open through next week's holiday.

Foy

Default Maybe not the first time

Quote Originally Posted by scotishbob View Post
    The "Going to the Sun" road across Glacier National Park is open only about 15 miles on both ends. They are not sure it will even open this year.
    In 2007 it was still closed at the end of June.

Lifey

i questioned that too-the park rangers said feet. due the high and steep slopes on the sides of the pass. i have not been to the park before so i cannot say for sure

Default I'd love to see Logan Pass with that much snow

Current road conditions indicate they have a long ways to go to be able to open the road...I was going to copy the current map in here, but the NPS in their wisdom has broken the larger image into 8 different tiles of jpegs preventing that use. Wonderful to see our tax dollars in use in this way.

Mark

Default 100 Feet Depth is possible

Here's an interesting blog post -- with photos taken by NPS personnel in June, with references to a possible height of 100 feet in snow (30 meters). Look in particular at the photos of the "Big Drift" area.

If I were a betting man.... and I had the blessing of Sheriff Gomm... I'd wager an opening on August 31st, 2011 for Logan Pass...

Mark

Default Look at this!

This is from a helicopter fly-over of the visitor center at Logan Pass on June 4th!

Whoa, this is not a place where the drifts normally form!

Mark

Default Wow, those are great pictures!

That’s a lot of snow!

Current road conditions indicate they have a long ways to go to be able to open the road...I was going to copy the current map . . .
    Here's the current map.

Glacier National Park

If I were a betting man.... and I had the blessing of Sheriff Gomm... I'd wager an opening on August 31st, 2011 for Logan Pass...
    Not only do you have my blessng, [not that you need it] if you are correct I will buy you a beer when I'm next in Vegas !!