Thread: Moving out west

1. Default Moving out west

My husband and I are moving from NJ to Las Vegas NV in September. We have a dog and cat so we plan to drive,most likely a RV....We would appreciate any advice as to best route and time
    Thanks

"Best route", "time", etc, all would depend on you. How much time do you have? Are you looking to make the best time you can, or are you looking for scenic? Do you need to rely on interstates, or are you looking to get onto the state and US highways? Are you towing a car while driving the RV?

Our advice at RTA is usually this: get a good road map of the USA, lay it out and see if anything strikes you. Then pop back in here and let us know.

BTW, about the fastest way (depending on where in NJ) is to come across I-80 through Nebraska, then catch I-76 through northeastern Colorado. At Denver you catch I-70 all the way to its western terminus in Utah, where you take I-15 south to LV. Or, skirt around the PA Turnpike to catch I-70 in WVa and Ohio, and take it straight across to the western terminus in Utah, and drive I-15 south into LV.

But there are so many other ways to get from Point A to Point B!

Donna

Default about the RV

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What's your reason for taking an RV? Is it one you already own and will be taking with you?

I will give a warning that an RV makes a very poor choice as a moving van. They don't really have have enough cargo space to pack that much stuff, and what you would pack would largely come at the expense of living space.

If you are renting an RV and just planning to get across the country as quickly as possible, an RV will really be a very expensive way to do this trip.

Now, if you already have an RV and need to move it anyway, or you want to use your cross country move as a way to take your time and explore the country, an RV could be a good way to enhance that experience.

Funny how experiences change the way we look at things - - I assumed that the OP already owned the RV and needed to move it with them. That's because, back in 1970, my family moved from IL to AZ. One parent drove the station wagon towing the trailer we already owned (and wanted to bring with us). The other drove a Dodge van. My brother and I changed who we rode with, every day. The back of the station wagon and the entire Dodge van were crammed with the things we were taking with us. We sold all of the furniture. The van's rear seats were the only things freighted to AZ.

Donna

Interestingly, its the experience of answering questions here which makes me think they probably don't own the RV, based solely on the words "most likely a rv." as well as refering to the dog and cat as the reason for driving. If they owned the RV, I'd assume they'd say they'd say something more along the lines of "we'll be taking our RV."

Of course, its not completely clear, and we'll have to see.....