Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miami Beach to The Black Hills...Fave foods? Unusual sights?

hey everybody! I have been to the Black Hills many times, and did the road trip between FLA and SD once before. Is there anything on this route that is rare and interesting? Like largest ball of yarn/ And also.. I love food. any great food that might be off the beaten path?

Thanks!

danielle no leaf
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-27-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Removed Pointless Attachment

It would help if we knew what route/s you are taking. Otherwise, we may recommend something way off the path that won't help you at all.

Welcome aboard!

Donna

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mi...sPQ&mra=ls&z=5

thanks! I hope that map link is helpful!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-27-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added Map

Looking at the route - - if this trip is any time in the next few months, be sure to check the status of I-29 before you go. You may have to re-route yourself around it. If next year, don't worry about it...at least at this point. The Missouri River is causing hate and discontent by flooding and closing much of I-29.

Crossing through Missouri - - an area I know pretty well - - you can head down to Hermann on MO 19 west of St Louis, where there are a number of wineries, if you're so inclined. One has a really good place to eat attached - Stone Hill - and of course, any number of different wines to try both at the restaurant and on their tour/tasting room. There's also a little winery right around Boonville, with a restaurant, that you can sit outside with a nice view of the Missouri River. That's almost right on I-70, not at all out of the way.

Donna

Default Finding those road side attractions

Hi, and Welcome to the RTA Forums.

There are quite a few resources on RTA which can help you find some of the things you are looking for, along your laid out route, or alternative routes. E.g. in the map centre you can search within a set distance of your route, what there is in the way of eating and attractions. Check out the options on the green menu bar above, and when you have further specific questions, feel free to ask.

However, it is very difficult to recommend places for food. A place which may have been really great a couple of years ago, may by now have changed hands, or even closed down. Your best option there is to leave enough time each day, to consult the locals.

Lifey

Locals.. I've tried that. I usually don't have time for that. I normally make a facebook profile and get dozens of recommendations everyday from around the world. Places people see on food and travel channels, etc. I will keep the FB profile for us foodies, and use this profile for sights! Thanks for the intel!

Donna! Yes! Thank you.. that is excellent info. Much appreciated :) I love St Louis!

I go on this trip every year, but normally from Cali or NYC. This is only second time from FLA. and yes, its this year, I am leaving in 2 weeks. soo excited!

Default Not enough Sandhills, and no Carhenge? And definitely no Missouri River crossing..

Hello Blue Winters,

Last time I checked, I-29 is closed entirely north of Rock Port, MO, just below the Iowa line, and also closed is the normal crossing of the Missouri River on IA-2 to NE-2 at Nebraska City, linking to I-80 at Lincoln. The closure and flooded condition are expected to remain in effect into and possibly after August 2011.

If the required reroute will still permit a southeast to northwest traverse of Nebraska, and I heartily encourage it, I'd exit I-80 a bit farther west, at Grand Island, and would pick up NE-2 from there to Alliance, NE, thereby cutting diagonally across the Nebraska Sandhills, a hauntingly beautiful and wholly underappreciated piece of the High Plains. NE-2 is designated the "Sandhills Scenic Journey". At Mullen is a tiny museum related to the ranching operations which flourished in the late 19th century, at Alliance is Carhenge, a "replica" of Stonehenge with autos on end rather than stones, and at Crawford is Fort Robinson State Park, an authentic US Cavalry fort also circa late 19th century.

I see Alliance and Crawford are somewhat out of your way, as is Chadron, location of the Sandoz High Plains Center, but I'd still recommend NE-2 to at least Hyannis, NE, where NE-61 north to US 20 at Merriman should make for a spectacularly isolated traverse through the pothole lake section of the Sandhills. Just make sure you top off your fuel at Thedford, where US 83 crosses NE-2. For that matter, US 83 from Thedford to Valentine is a fine, fine Sandhills route in and of itself.

Enjoy!

Foy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Winters View Post
    I go on this trip every year, but normally from Cali or NYC. This is only second time from FLA. and yes, its this year, I am leaving in 2 weeks. soo excited!
    Over in the Off the Beaten Path forum, there's a whole thread about St Louis and what it has to offer besides the Arch. Take a look.

In the Road Conditions forum, there is a thread about the status of I-29. Much of it is closed right now and expected to stay that way for the unknown future. So you might do a little re-routing - there are suggestions in that thread.

Donna

I can offer you one specific food suggestion, if you like BBQ. Outside of St. Louis at Exit 264 on I-44 in Eureka is Super Smokers.