Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default SF - LA - LV - Tahoe -SF .... and ur suggestions in between

Hi everyone

Im sure this has been discussed before but having a bit of trouble finding the information I require.

We fly in to SF on August 2nd this year and pick up our car on the 5th. We are heading down the west coast and are planning to stop in Morro Bay for one night on the way to LA. Once in LA we are staying up in the Hollywood Hill..... Any suggestions on this part of the trip (things to see, places to stop at much appreciated)

This is where we really need the help... once we leave LA on a wednesday we are driving to Vegas and have time to kill inbetween so is there anywhere we could stop on the way through that isnt a massive tourist trap?

Upon leaving LV we are heading up to Tahoe and would like to spend the whole day getting there. We are looking for some awesome scenery... we are having to spend all day driving so if this can be made up by amazing sights etc that would be great. Have you got any suggestions on a good route? We dont want to sit on a motorway all day. Unfortunately we are only spending one night in Tahoe and the next day we are heading to SF for our final evening in USA. We are leaving Tahoe around midday and would like to know where we should drive on the way back to SF to once again maek the drive worthwhile.

Thanks in advance guys

Kris

Default Some options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I presume you are planning on taking the very scenic Highway 1 around Big Sur to Morro bay, if not you should. ;-)

From LA to Vegas you could detour through the Mojave National preserve. With an early start and long day you could head through Joshua tree NP from I10 to Twenty Nine Palms and take the Amboy/Kelbaker road to the Mojave. [Unless "time to kill" means an overnight stop or more ?]

From Vegas to Tahoe you can head to Pahrump on 160 and through the spectacular landscape of Death valley via Bell Vista/Ash meadows road to Death valley junction and 190/136 to 395 North. It's a very scenic drive but again, get an early start.

On the way to SF you could take one of the scenic mountain passes across the Sierras such as CA4.

3. Default

Hi thanks for your quick reply

We are planning on taking highway 1 to morro bay. It looks amazing!

Time to kill from LA to LV just means the day really. We dont want to get to LV to early so just one or two nice stops to break the journey up.

Will def look up your suggestion for LV to Tahoe. Do you know how long this would take? Sounds great.

Many Thanks
    Kris

Default A full day.

Will def look up your suggestion for LV to Tahoe. Do you know how long this would take?
    I would estimate about 10 hours, a little longer with stops, but it's a lovely drive at a relaxed pace so it shouldn't feel like a chore at all. I would try and get an early start as Death valley gets hot, I mean really hot in the summer and it will be cooler in the morning. There are a few viewpoints like Zabriske point just a short walk from the car and Furnace creek is worth a wander around and to get refreshments. Carry some water and snacks in the car and use sun protection.

Another option into SF would be through Napa to the Golden gate rec area and then over the GG bridge into the City.

Have to mention it as it is one of my favourite places, Yosemite. Has it been on your radar at all ? You would need extra time or in exchange for Tahoe. I t would also save you a few miles an an alternative.

5. Default

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. We really really appreciate your help. Its so hard planning it from England without making a time costly mistake.

We would love to see Yosemite and would be happy to leave out tahoe but thought that this would be out of our reach. We couldnt find a route that could mean we could see Yosemite, stay the night and get to SF the next day for our final night before our flight back to London.

If you could tell us of a route we could take that would incorporate Yosemite we would be very grateful as we were quite upset at missing out on it.

Look forward to hearing from you mate and once again your help is invaluable.

Kris

Following the route through Death valley to 395 you can take the spectacular Tioga pass [CA120] across the Sierra's into Yosemite. Lodging in the park is quite possibly all booked up so your options would be to stop on the East side of the mountains [Lee vining] and continue next day, or stay out the other side of Yosemite to the West. If you budget could withstand a stay in the park and there are lodgings available, I would recommend it.

Wonderful place !

When I think of Morro Bay, it brings to mind "Hearst Castle". It's one of those places that most of my friends have been to, raved about, but I have yet to see. (It's on my "to see" list.) Google Hearst Castle and you should find exact directions, more about it.

Buellton/Solvang - a lot of folks love to poke around that area a bit. You also could follow the PCH (CA 1) all the way down to Malibu. Westward Beach - coming into Malibu on PCH 1 from Oxnard - has been the site where beach scenes in movies and TV shows are often filmed. ("Spaceballs" comes to mind first, as does the pilot for the old TV show "I Dream of Jeannie".)

Did you need help on the Hollywood scene? Most people enjoy walking the Walk of Fame, seeing Graumann's Chinese Theater, the Kodak Theater (now hosts the Academy Awards). Some love to do a studio tour - NBC and Warner Bros do great "real" tours, where Universal Studios throws a lot of effects into their place.

Donna

8. Default

Hi Mike

Thanks for your suggestion and we think this is what we are going to do.

Sorry to sound cheeky but could you tell us the roads in order that we should take them so we can follow your route.

We could do with the roads from when we leave vegas to yosemite?

Would you take the 160 to pahrump and onto death valley junction
    then the 190 to owens lake (north of lake) (this seems a bit of a detour but we are cool with it if this is the good way)
    Then the 395 north to mono lake
    then the 120 through tioga pass through the park?

Just checkin dont want to make any mistakes
    Cheers
    Kris

Default Mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by krisbennett View Post
    Hi Mike...
    Kris, excuse my curiosity, but I am just wondering where you got that name. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by krisbennett View Post
    Just checking, dont want to make any mistakes..
    Why not? Some of the greatest roadtrip memories are the result of making mistakes and discovering wonders one had never planned on seeing.

Are you keying all these routes into a gps? 'cause if you are, may I suggest that you also take good paper maps with you. Relying solely on a gps can be deadly!

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 06-28-2011 at 04:21 AM.

10. Default

Lifey

God knows where I got the name Mike from I did mean Dave! sorry Dave.

We will be taking road maps too for sure not solely relying on gps. I dont have alot of time to make mistakes if im honest we dont have a lot of time in the parks so simply want to make the best of it.

Cheers
    Kris