Thread: Allen

1. Default Allen

G`Day from Down Under,
    I am currently planning a trip to the USA in mid September and propose flying to Las Vegas then hiring a car and driving to San Diego. Any advice on best route and things to see along the way would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default From one Aussie to another

Hi, and Welcome to the RTA Forums.

On RTA we actually don't have 'bests'. Your best route is going to be the one which achieves what you set out to achieve.

So what is the purpose of the trip, and what do you wish to achieve? And how long do you have?

Lifey

To tag onto what Lifey said, there are several ways to get from LV to San Diego.

Direct route - I-15 south. You pass through Baker (the world's largest thermometer), Barstow, the high desert valleys, up and over Cajon Pass into San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, through those cities, then down to San Diego via a very pretty route.

Another thought - a lot less direct, but scenic - northwest out of LV on US95 to Beatty, where you catch NV 374/CA 190 into Death Valley. Exit DV on CA 190 west to US 395 south. Stay on 395 and that eventually catches you back to I-15 south. Or, depending on the time of year, you might be able to go over Tioga Pass in Yosemite.

See what we mean? There are so many possibilities. It all depends on how much time you have, and what you're looking for.

Donna

4. Default

Thanks Chaps,
    We will be in the US for two weeks , first 4 days in LV and the rest getting to and looking around San Diego. However we need to be in SD for business. for the last 4 days of our stay.
    Thanks for the all the assistance/advice.
    Allen.

Default That is a very different picture

Allen, in that case you have several choices. LV would have to be the hub for many natural wonders. You could route via Death Valley and Yosemite, Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon, or you could tour via Zion (maybe Bryce), Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon in six relaxed days.

Get out a map, and have a look to see where things are and how much it would involve.... and if that suits your travel style. As a guide, the GC is some five hours drive from LV, more if you stop at Hoover Dam and / or the remnants of the Mother Road - route 66.

Zion and Death Valley can both be visited on a day trip from LV. Yosemite is a good day's drive, via Death Valley. But I would never just drive through DV without stopping to take in the scene. So check a good map, and see which would interest you most. Six days will give you the freedom to do either, and still get to San Diego relaxed.

Lifey

We have a ton of things to choose from in San Diego, too, if you have time away from business to spend here. There are the touristy things that we locals do, too, such as San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park/Safari Park (new name), Sea World, and Legoland. There are beaches galore. We have lovely drives that can take you to the high desert, up on top of a 6000 ft mountain, up to Mount Palomar (providing that the state government doesn't close the state park surround it), wine country (slightly north of San Diego County in southern Riverside County). We also have the historical here, from 2 major missions in the El Camino Real "chain" of 21 missions, Old Town San Diego, the Point Loma Lighthouse, and some old ships (Navy and civilian).

Donna

7. Default

Thanks you all for the info I can now Plan my trip in some detail, I have made a number of visits to the US East coast while working but never had the opportunity to explore the West coast. I look forward to my visit
    Cheers
    Allen