1. Default Los Angeles to Tahoe to Las Vegas

Hi everyone. I am beginning to plan for a trip with my wife and 3 kids to visit Lake Tahoe. I'm thinking about stopping along the way to Tahoe along the 395 to break up the driving a bit. It would appear that Bishop is my best bet, but I wanted to hear if anybody has been anywhere else that might be a nice one night stopover.

From Tahoe to Vegas I was looking at stopping somewhere near Rhyolite (the old ghost town)
    Thanks,
    Papa!

Default Bishop and Beatty

Bishop is a lovely little place to stop, with a good selection of accommodation. And don't miss the bakery, an absolute dream for a sweet tooth. If you want to push on a little further, there is Mammoth Lakes and Lee Vining.

Rhyolite is on the way into Death Valley, from Beatty. You could then continue on through the spectacular landscape of Death Valley, to LV, via Pahrump. And take a side trip to Badwater.

Lifey

A little known treasure off of US 395 is the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. You head east out of Big Pine and then follow the national forest/park signage. This is the site of the oldest trees in the United States - they are older than the redwoods. They're more stark than the redwoods, so some folks don't consider them beautiful. Bear in mind that all the roads in the park are gravel (so many rental car companies don't want you to drive them). One road has a 13% upgrade (and down too) which is fine for a car - just don't try to do that in an RV, which they don't allow in the park anyway.

My husband and I found this place fascinating. Our then-7 and 8 year old daughters were also amazed.

Donna

Default Alternative routing.

Have you considered going up the West side of the Sierras and back down the east side ? Yosemite NP or nearby would be a possible overnight stop and if you did, next day would follow with a lovely drive over Tioga pass [CA120]. You could then head south to Bishop or Lone pine for a night after Lake Tahoe and continue to Vegas by way of 190 across Death valley. There is more driving involved and DV will be hot, but it is certainly worth considering, especially if you have a little time in Tahoe to break the journey up. Carry water and snacks in the car and have hats and suncream available for the desert areas.

5. Default

Thanks guys for the excellent comments! I might just stop in Mammoth lakes in lieu of Bishop now that you mentioned it. I would like to put a few more miles in my hip pocket on that first day. Any suggestions on things to do in Mammoth this time of year if we stay there for a 1/2 day?

Papa!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Have you considered going up the West side of the Sierras and back down the east side ? Yosemite NP or nearby would be a possible overnight stop and if you did, next day would follow with a lovely drive over Tioga pass [CA120]. You could then head south to Bishop or Lone pine for a night after Lake Tahoe and continue to Vegas by way of 190 across Death valley. There is more driving involved and DV will be hot, but it is certainly worth considering, especially if you have a little time in Tahoe to break the journey up. Carry water and snacks in the car and have hats and suncream available for the desert areas.
    Thanks SW Dave, I did not consider this route but it might be worth a look next time. My wife abhors the heat of death valley. I took her there last summer and she wanted to clock me with a frying pan afterwords, although she seems to enjoy telling the story nowadays. I guess it is one of things that is more fun after it is done and you are talking about it!

Papa!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    A little known treasure off of US 395 is the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. You head east out of Big Pine and then follow the national forest/park signage. This is the site of the oldest trees in the United States - they are older than the redwoods. They're more stark than the redwoods, so some folks don't consider them beautiful. Bear in mind that all the roads in the park are gravel (so many rental car companies don't want you to drive them). One road has a 13% upgrade (and down too) which is fine for a car - just don't try to do that in an RV, which they don't allow in the park anyway.

My husband and I found this place fascinating. Our then-7 and 8 year old daughters were also amazed.

Donna
    This may be something we would enjoy. I would like to see the terror in my kids/wife's eyes as we are on that gravel 13% upgrade/downgrade. Of course it would stop being funny if I had terror in my eyes too!

Papa!