1. Default Help! Philly to Co advice please!

Hi! We are leaving July 9th and heading to Estes park for 5 days. We then have another 18 days to travel around. We are considering different places in Colorado and also mount rushmore, maybe Yellowstone, not sure about Utah at all. We have three kids, ages 4,6 and 8 so we know we are limited in regard to hiking and biking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Other than the YMCA at Estes we have no reservations. We've already driven to fla before with kids and pretty much drove straight through. This time we know we'll have to stop, but not sure where. Thanks!

Default Your choice.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I would simply suggest you start by using all the road trip resources here at RTA with a good map to hand. As well as the search function for the forums, there are road trip planning pages in the tool bars above that are full of ideas. It's tough to make any meaningful suggestions when you are not sure what you want to do yourself. All your thoughts are viable options, it's just a case of researching and deciding. [Not so simple I know ! Lol] Once you have done so, we can certainly help to fill in the blanks. As for Utah, I personally love it ! Great scenery and driving roads and National parks like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion to consider. Combining some of that with Colorado could make a nice trip, but so could Yellowstone and the Tetons, Rushmore, Badlands etc.

Enjoy the planning !

Default Narrow gauge steam trains

With children the ages of yours, there is so much in CO to interest and amuse them. Among my favourites are the narrow gauge steam railways - Durango to Silverton and The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (just over the border), The Great Sand Dunes NP (build sandcastles in the shallow creek), and the Royal Gorge Railway and Bridge.

And lots more.

Lifey

4. Default

Thanks for the info & suggestions!

5. Default

As for Utah, I personally love it ! Great scenery and driving roads and National parks like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion to consider. Combining some of that with Colorado could make a nice trip, but so could Yellowstone and the Tetons, Rushmore, Badlands etc.
    I love Utah too but one thing to consider is the HOT weather you might have in Utah in July vs the milder weather you might have in Yellowstone. It's a very hard choice, but wanted to give you more info. Another consideration might be lodging! Inside Yellowstone will be booked but you might be able to get in on cancellations or you can stay outside the park in West Yellowstone. Lodging might be a big factor in which area you choose.

There is also a lot to keep you occupied in Colorado. I'll add Mesa Verde National Park & Colorado National Monument to the places Lifey has provided.

Utahtea