1. Default Florida to Oregon

What recommendations do you have for a relocation road trip from South Florida to Portland, Oregon in December/January re: safest roads, coolest roadside attractions/things to see?

Thank you!

Some factors come to mind - is there anything in particular you want to see? How long do you have? How much do you want to stay out of the snow? What type of "safe" do you want to be - safe from winter's woes or worried about personal safety? What types of things are you looking for, or interest you?

There are several routes that you could take, but we'd need more information in order to make recommendations. This is YOUR road trip, though - not ours.

Donna who would prefer to stay SOUTH at that time of year!

Default Need your input.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As Donna points out, we know nothing about you or your trip plans which makes it impossible to make any meaningful suggestions. However, you should study a good map and use the RTA resources to help you find what it is that interests you and get a couple of dots on the map. Once you have done so we can help to fill in the blanks, but with so many options you really need to take the first step.

4. Default

Ok... More information:

I have been between Florida and Oregon twice. The first time, I pretty much used the google default shortest distance, with many hours spent drving through Nebraska, and aside from a quick detour into denver, it was a straight shot across. The second time, I headed south from Portland (as it was winter) and started the trek back east around bakerfield california. i missed vegas. i missed the grand canyon. spent a long time in texas, and hav no interest in the gulf states. This time, I'd love to go north, through Chicago and see a dakota, maybe even pass through yellowstone. But my fears are as follows:
    I will be driving with my family: husband, 4 year old, and dog. We have a trusty 2007 Cr-V...but its 2wd and we dont know the first thing about driving in the snow. I dont want to get stuck up on some snowy mountain somewhere (which apparantly is just as likely in AZ as it is in WY)...I'd say that my biggest concern is whether, which is difficult to plan around, so the safest route in terms of winter weather is i guess what i am looking for.
    In terms of what I'd like to see on the way...I don't know. I wont have lots of spending money for fun side trips, so whatever is free, or cheap, and not too much of a detour, but worth while.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Keeping up to date with weather forecasts as you travel is the safest way to go, whatever route you decide on. Interstates are a priority to keep open and traffic moving and if there are any signs of poor conditions you won't want to be detouring up any mountain passes, 2 or 4 wheel drive. Yellowstone is pretty much out of bounds the time of year you travel due to snow. You still don't say how much time you have to spare, which will help determine how much 'wandering' you can do away from Interstate. Have you considered going through the Four corners region up through New Mexico, Colorado and Utah, perhaps via Memphis ? [Arizona being the other if you had time]. Great scenerey that won't cost a dime. If you fancy visiting a few National parks along the way you could buy the annual pass for $80 that lets you visit any number of times to every park.

As we can't predict winter weather this far in advance, you would be better off deciding on a particular route that follows Interstate with interesting stops along the way that you may be able to visit, weather permitting. Alternatively just keep looking around RTA and listing the endless number of options you have and decide as you go, there would be no need to book in advance. As I mentioned previously, if you have a couple of places that you would like to see and have those dots on the map, it will help narrow things down a bit among the tens of thousands of possibilities.

Default Winter in the Northern Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by Tessan View Post

I will be driving with my family: husband, 4 year old, and dog. We have a trusty 2007 Cr-V...but its 2wd and we dont know the first thing about driving in the snow. I dont want to get stuck up on some snowy mountain somewhere (which apparantly is just as likely in AZ as it is in WY)...I'd say that my biggest concern is whether, which is difficult to plan around, so the safest route in terms of winter weather is i guess what i am looking for.
    In terms of what I'd like to see on the way...I don't know. I wont have lots of spending money for fun side trips, so whatever is free, or cheap, and not too much of a detour, but worth while.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
    I don't believe there is such a thing as passing through Yellowstone in December/January. A look at their website might confirm. Generally, there is no winter road open through Yellowstone--access by snowmobile or snowcat only.

That said, there's just really no way to even estimate, at this moment in time, which of many routes might be the "safest", as safety involves distance traveled, urban/suburban traffic situations, weather, and any number of factors.

It appears to me Mapquest shows the I-80 route across NE, WY, ID, into OR as the shortest from Miami to Portland. I dragged the route up to I-90 in southeastern SD, then crossing MT and ID and WA enroute to Portland. Looks to be around 120 miles further that way.

I am in no way concerned about the fact that the I-90 route is farther north than the I-80 route. Between Laramie, WY and Rock Springs, WY, I-80 reaches elevations of just under 9,000' at one place and holds a steady 7,000' to 7,700' for over 100 miles, and between 6,000' and 7,000' for another 200 miles. By contrast, I-90 in MT holds elevations of around 4,000' as it runs along river valleys with just 4 passes before you reach ID and spend the remainder of the trip at low elevation. From Billings to Missoula, MT, I-90 is rather more liberally sprinkled with towns and small cities, contrasted to the long distances between services on I-80 in WY. The scenery along I-90 in MT is breathtaking from Billings all the way into ID.

By keeping tabs on the weather conditions, you'll only drive into a bad situation if you are remiss in the need to remain informed. Generally speaking, you may expect slowdowns or delays measured in hours if a sudden snow squall makes the passes difficult. The snow removal efforts in the Western states are provided by the best-equipped and most proficient DOT crews anywhere, and given that the Interstates are economic lifelines, they're kept open.

Enjoy your winter RoadTrip!

Foy