Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default maybe, maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Argh, I should add, Day 6 happens to be Thanksgiving.

We don't even know if the shops/sites are open. Will have to check it out.
    5 Years ago, we could have told you pretty certainly that all the stores would be closed, but that's really been changing in the past couple years.

A few years ago, a handful of stores started opening at Midnight to get first crack at "Black Friday" shoppers. Then a few started pushing that back to late night and evening openings on Thanksgiving, and within the past 2 years, there have been a lot of stores that were open regular hours on Thanksgiving - including many Walmarts that are now open 24 hours right through the holiday. For outlet malls, at the very least, you'll see them open late night or at midnight on Friday, but it wouldn't shock me if they are now open despite the holiday. Just be aware, that "Black Friday" shopping is a whole animal in and of itself!

Turns out you're correct. The well organized woman already had this covered. I wondered what the hell she was talking about when mentioning Black Friday.

The 24 hour Walmart here closes at around 4am on Black Friday till 6am to set up the Black Friday displays. They chase everyone out of the store and allow them to line up out in the parking lot to get back in.

Default Footwear Information

Hi guys

My planned road trip is fast approaching and I'm at the late stage of buying a pair of quality shoes (something I'm no expert in) that will hopefully serve multiple purposes. Without re-posting the whole itinerary I'll be doing plenty of driving, walking and a bit of hiking in the south-west (CA, NV, UT, NM, TX) then ALOT of walking in DC and NYC. All this in late November - early December.

Ideally, I'd like to buy shoes at least a few weeks before leaving to wear them in. I'd like them to be comfortable enough to drive in as well as walking. Is there one style/category of shoe that can cover all these situations? Should I consider the weather in my decision?

Thanks

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-28-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: merged

Default Merrell Chameleon 4 Stretch

I've got something like this in mind.

They're not too heavy, reasonable protection, suited to diverse conditions. Most of my walking will be around town so they don't need to be too hardcore.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-28-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Removed outside link.

Default too far afield

I'm sorry, but getting to the point of recommending specific footwear is just too far away from the scope of this forum.

I can say that I'd certainly recommend some kind of athletic shoe that you will be comfortable in, and I like to bring at least 2 different pairs if I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time on my feet. You might want to look for something that is waterproof, especially since you could be walking in a little rain or snow particularly in NY and DC.

But really, something that is comfortable to your foot is really the most important thing, and that means just going to a shoe store and trying things out yourself.

Default Contact the experts.

Don't you have The Athlete's Foot in Sydney. Surely you can't get much better advice than there. Alternatively go to Paddy Pallin, or Katmandu, or any other quality outdoor store. You will not be covering any different terrain than what you would if you were to travel to the Blue Mountains, Central Australia or visiting Hobart in winter. Any shoes which will suffice in those places, will suffice where you will be travelling. And I have to agree, two good pairs is recommended, even for three weeks.

I like to take a pair of the type shown above, as well as a pair of proper hiking boots -even though I can't walk far these days. They are waterproof and very warm. A couple of pairs of pure woollen socks, and you are set for any occasion. (Wear the heaviest boots during the flight. Saves them weighing down the luggage.)

Lifey

I agree - for what you want to do, you will need both athletic shoes and boots.

Now my latest dilemma

Cancel Death Valley and get a 4th night/5th day in LV.

We were scheduled to spend a night at Furnace Creek Ranch but we're contemplating an extra night in Vegas to get through some more planned activities and a bit less time on the road before the long hauls through UT, NM & TX.

My thinking is to visit Death Valley in the future and spend 2 or 3 nights camping there to get the most from it.

I hope it wont be a completely stupid decision to ditch Death Valley.

Deciding where to go is always a personal decision, but I certainly wouldn't give up one night in Death Valley to spend a 4th night in Vegas.

If you were only spending a single night in Vegas, and were trying to find room for a 2nd, I could see it, but with 3 nights already planned in LV, that would be plenty of time in the city for me and I think I'd pretty seriously regret not visiting a National Park that is a favorite of many.