1. Default Mt. Shasta to Redwood SP

Howdy! Hoping to solicit opinions from folks who have experience traveling some of the lesser-used roads in this part o' the country!

We're two Ohioans who are spending a week driving from Reno to Seattle and doing some geocaching along the way. We're renting a standard passenger car (no high clearance and no 4WD) for the trip and most of the route planning has been pretty straightforward to this point but one little stretch has caused us some consternation. We'll be spending the 2nd day in and around the Mount Shasta area and then want to make our way to the coast and some of the redwood spots. Last year we had an unpleasant encounter on a forest road up in the Manistee State Forest (Michigan) and are trying to avoid making the same mistake (getting on roads we have no business being on). I guess you could say we kind of want it both ways - we love scenic drives, we want to see a few new and beautiful places, and we don't want to get stranded in a sand pit trying to get there.

In short, can anyone give us some information about specifically:

1) Stewart Springs Road/Forest Road 42N17/IP Road which runs from Old Hwy 99 just SW of Edgewood down to meet up with SR3

OR

2) Salmon River Road/Forest Hwy 93 which runs NW from Forks of Salmon past Somes Bar to meet up with SR96

OR

3) Both of these options are idiotic and there's a far cooler/superior way to go that we are clueless about.

TIA for your assistance!!#!@

Default Sorry, can't help, but....

Hi and Welcome to the RTA Forum.

It is a decade ago now, that I drove (in one day - crazy!) from Seattle to Reno. I cut across country and took what I thought was the shortest, and therefore the quickest way. Little did I know. The only memory of that trip I have is sitting behind log trucks on narrow two lane roads, for mile after mile after mile.

Sorry, I can't answer your specific questions, but as I read your post, the memory surfaced.

Lifey

My suggestion would be to inquire locally before using any of those roads, if possible. We had an experience with some of those local forest service and state routes in/around the National and State Forest areas of northern California, and had the same experience Lifey did: log trucks. Only we weren't just stuck behind them. They would try to go around us in the craziest areas.

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    My suggestion would be to inquire locally before using any of those roads, if possible. We had an experience with some of those local forest service and state routes in/around the National and State Forest areas of northern California, and had the same experience Lifey did: log trucks. Only we weren't just stuck behind them. They would try to go around us in the craziest areas.

Donna
    Indeed we had similar problems with logging trucks on the back roads in the UP of Michigan - reminded us of something out of a Stephen King book. We were pretty sure we were going to die on at least 3 different occasions.

Any suggestions for where to go to find info about these specific roads? Maybe a phone call to a chamber of commerce?

I have no personal knowledge of the roads in that area except 101 itself and 36 between 101 and Red Bluff - but looking on my mapping software, the following looks like a fairly major road - go north out of Weed and get on old 99 to Gazelle, then take Gazelle-Callahan Road to 3, then take 3 to either 299 or 36.

6. Default

Sweet! I couldn't see that connector - it looks like Google Maps has the entire route StreetView-mapped. Thanks!