Default North TX to Vegas to Cali and ... ?

Hi Everyone! New to the forum! I've taken lotsa small-ish road trips as a kid. As an adult, the most recent road trips are:

- May 2010, Concord NH to Wichita Falls, TX
    - August 2010, Concord, NH to Wichita Falls, TX
    - September 2010, Concord, NH to Vegas, to Santa Monica, CA to Wichita Falls, TX (FUN!)

On this trip the passengers are: myself and my fiance. We are leaving SATURDAY morning, leaving Wichita Falls, TX and heading to Las Vegas. We need to be in Vegas, Monday afternoon. We are planning to leave home early Saturday morning. This is the only portion of the trip with a time constraint, being that we need to be in Vegas for Monday.

We are leaving Vegas on Friday morning and heading to Santa Monica, CA. Would LOVE input on a scenic route for that leg of the trip, again, time is not a factor for us.

Leaving Vegas, we have no hotel plans or anything. We love Santa Monica and plan on driving the Pacific Coast Highway up thru San Francisco and then to see some of the Redwoods. We have no definite day to come back to Texas. Did I mention this is our honeymoon? Yep, getting married in Vegas and then roadtripping, since it's what we both love to do.

Things we both like about road tripping: ghost towns, abandoned buildings, scenic areas, historical things. Would much rather find something cool off the beaten path than the touristy, crowded things. Love the ocean (hence, the Pacific Coastal) :)

Would love input on scenic routes, must sees, must eat at, cute lil motels to stay in (not so much into the bed and breakfast thing). We know it will be 4th of July weekend, but not so concerned. We can pretty much stop whenever, wherever.

Can't wait for the input! Thanks everyone. : )

We always try to recommend that people go SOUTH on the California coastal highway (PCH) so that the pull-outs are on the correct side of the road. So you may feel that you can rearrange your trip a little - perhaps Vegas to Sequoia and Yosemite, over to the coast and DOWN to LA, returning to Vegas that way. Possible routing: US 95 north out of Vegas, cross Death Valley on CA 180, stay in Bishop. Cross into Yosemite via Tioga Pass (it's open), see Yosemite and Sequoia, then cross to the Coastal Highway on CA 98 to CA 41. That brings you into Morro Bay area. Go south to LA, catch CA 118 to I-210, which brings you to I-15 where you can go north to Vegas.

If your time is short (it was hard to figure your time constraint), clip off Yosemite and save that for another trip.

Donna

Default Thanks...

thanks... I do not have any time constraints, we can be gone as long as we want. We are heading to Santa Monica from Vegas... so up the PCH, however, we will be going down it on the way back. Not terribly concerned about having to cross the road to get to the other side :) Thanks!

Default You will actually miss most

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    That brings you into Morro Bay area. Go south to LA ...
    If you start at Morro Bay, you will miss most of the spectacular PCH. You will want to start at least at Monterey, further north if you have the time. The most scenic parts of this coastal drive are between Monterey and Cambria, (which is almost a full day's drive) with lots of pull-offs and view points.

You can then take 46 west and head back to LV.

I do agree, if you are going to drive the PCH, the best way to enjoy it is from north to south.

If a tour of Hearst Castle (near Cambria) interests you, I would try to book a tour later in the day. (Booking is essential.)

Lifey

Default Another thought

Hi Mommy and Welcome to RTA Forum.

Have just read the original post again, and here are my thoughts on a trip, which is both scenic, and would incorporate your requests.

From Vegas, you could route through Pahrump, take 190 through Death Valley to CA 395. Head north to CA 120 (Tioga Pass), into Yosemite - a great place to spend some time - and onto San Francisco.

On leaving San Francisco pass through the Redwoods on your way to the coast. Then take PCH - a two day drive - to Santa Monica.

An alternative to see the Redwoods would be to head north of San Francisco (101) to the Humboldt State Park, and The Avenue of Giants, before heading back down the coast. Then head down the coast south of SF to SM.

All the places mentioned above are places where you could choose to spend several days, or more. From the green bar above, use the road trip attractions and the map centre to find those attracdtions along the way, which appeal to you most.

Enjoy the planning, and the honeymoon.

Lifey